Steps for Online Application
STEP ONE - SELECT REASON FOR REQUEST
Enrollment Reason options are available for the Air Force to better determine why you choose to utilize TA for off-duty education. Please select the reason that best identifies why you are using TA. Definitions of each of the four options are available to help you make a selection.
STEP TWO - SELECT THE SCHOOL NAME (CIVILIAN INSTITUTION)
Select the school or civilian institution that you will be attending from the list provided. If the school you wish to attend is not available in the list, you must report to your base education office to obtain the TA form.
STEP THREE - ENTER TERM DATES
Enter the beginning and end dates for the term you will be taking. Please note that term dates are inclusive dates of a specific term and do not necessarily represent the exact start date for your specific course (i.e., term starts on Monday, Jan 10, but your course does not start until Wednesday, Jan 12). The dates must be exact or the TA will be disapproved.
STEP FOUR - ENTER THE COURSE INFORMATION
Enter the course information by either selecting from a preloaded course catalog or by manually entering the course information. If you try to enter a course and find that it is not in the database, you will be required to enter the information manually. You can get this information by viewing your institution's student handbook or website.
- Note: If your local education center is maintaining a current course catalog and the term dates you have selected match, then a list of courses will appear in a pop up window. Select the course you are enrolling for by clicking on the course number hyperlink. The Course Data Form will either automatically be populated based on a course you selected in the catalog.
- Continue to add courses to the form until you have added all courses that you will be taking for that SCHOOL and TERM. (Remember, HQ ACC recommends only one course in an 8 or 12 week semester, two courses in a 16 week semester).
- Note: If you attend school at multiple locations or attending multiple schools, you must use multiple TA forms (i.e., one for on-base, one for off-base).
STEP FIVE - ENTER THE REGISTRATION FEES
Select the registration fees from the drop down list. These fees are only paid by the Air Force if payment of these fees is MANDATORY as a condition of enrollment. Enter each fee type and cost separately.
STEP SIX - VERIFY TA INFORMATION AND SUBMIT REQUEST
Verify that all of the TA information on the form is correct. Be careful to note school, term and course information to ensure that the information provided is accurate. Use the back buttons to correct any errors.
- If AFVEC finds that TA cannot cover some or all of the tuition, you will be notified and given the option to elect the "VA Top-up" GI Bill option. Follow the Top-Up link to verify your eligibility. You may use this option to supplement any cost not covered by TA if you are GI Bill qualified. Lastly, make sure your email address is updated! This is the address where all communications between you and the education office will occur. You must use your military account unless you do not have one.
- Be sure to read each of the conditions and certifications. You must agree to all conditions and certifications by checking them off prior to submitting your application for approval. Once you have agreed to all conditions and certifications, enter your full name and "MY AFVEC" password to submit.
- Your application will be submitted to your local education center for final approval/disapproval. Do not factor this TA into defraying tuition costs until you receive final approval from the education center.
- Any TA requests that are not authorized by your supervisor will be auto-disapproved at midnight of the term start date. It is important that you stay involved with your supervisor to ensure requests are reviewed prior to term start date to avoid being auto-disapproved. For more information, contact your base education office.
After your request is approved
- You will receive notification of approved TA form.
- The approved TA form will have both the approval official's and your digitally signed signatures.
- You MUST send a copy of the approved TA form to your school.
You will be unable to apply online for TA if the following applies to you:
- Missing grades over 60 days from course end date.
- Suspense dates that have expired.
- Missing personal data in the education record including: Phone, DOS, DOB, Unit, Office Symbol, Mailing Address, Email Address, base, and Education Level.Requesting TA for courses that start more than 30 days into the future.
- Requesting TA for courses that start more than 30 days into the future.
- Requesting TA for courses that have already started.
- Requesting TA for lower level courses which are less than highest ed level awarded.
- No degree plan in records.
AF policy requires you to create a goal and upload a degree plan via the AFVEC website prior to requesting TA (use Tutorials on AFVEC site). A generic degree/academic plan can be used for up to 6 semester hours until you have an evaluated degree plan.
- You must request TA before class starts, maximum of 45 days prior to and minimum 7 days prior to class start date.
- Your supervisor must electronically approve all TA requests (allow time for this).
- If you withdraw from a course you must notify the school AND the Education Center immediately.
- You are responsible for reimbursing the government for all TA not reimbursed to the USAF.
- If you fail a course, you must reimburse the USAF for the full amount of tuition paid.
- If military duties prevent you from attending class you can apply for a waiver of reimbursement.
- You must submit a letter explaining the reasons for withdrawing from the course(s) signed by your Squadron Commander.
- You are responsible for ensuring that your education record reflects your official grade within 30 days after the class ends.
- You are allowed 15 Semester Hours (5 classes) to establish a GPA; you must maintain 2.0 for undergraduate degrees, 3.0 for graduate degrees, to continue using TA.
- TA is not authorized for courses leading to a lateral or lower level degree than you already possess (i.e. Second Associate's or Bachelor's degree).
- TA will be provided for a Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) degree regardless of your current education level.
- TA will be provided for a civilian college associate degree even if you have a CCAF associate degree provided you do not possess a civilian associate or higher degree.
- You are no longer required to obtain your supervisor's signature on your TA form; however, you are expected to discuss your schedule with your supervisor to ensure that participation has his/her support.
- Complete all steps required above to receive authorization.
- Submit the Tuition Assistance Authorization form to the Office of Financial Assistance prior to start of course along with your Request for Veterans Benefits form (accessible on the UIS Financial Aid's forms page).
- Sign up for the University of Illinois Payment Plan