The Study Away programs support experiential learning for UIS students across the United States and around the world.
Summer & Fall 2024 Application Deadline is March 1st.
To apply to study away, students must complete the SAP application, submit required documents by the deadline. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Why Study Abroad?
- Increased fluency in another language.
- A broader cultural perspective.
- A better understanding of the thoughts and opinions of others.
- A greater ability to achieve your goals on your own.
- An enhanced resume that will set you apart.
- Deadline to apply for travel scholarships related to studying abroad is Feb. 15th (by noon) for programs in summer 2024, fall 2024, and spring 2025.
- In order to be eligible for the scholarships, students must submit a Study Away application before Feb. 15th.
Office Hours: Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Start Your Adventure Today
Contact Study Away today to request more information or for general inquiries.
“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.”Miriam Beard
An absolutely astounding trip! I gained a lot of things on this trip. Friends and connections. Another cultural perspective. The start of a new language-learning journey. This trip meant a lot to me personally, and, while I cannot speak to everybody because not everyone values what I do, I can guarantee that anyone can find something to love about this trip.-Sean (Language and Culture of Japan)
Health & Safety
The University of Illinois system maintains a group policy for international health insurance coverage for:
- All participants in a UIS program of study outside of the USA, including conducting research, fieldwork and internships;
- faculty and staff leading study abroad programs;
- faculty and staff traveling outside of the USA on official university business.
For individuals who are approved to participate in a study abroad program through UIS and for faculty and staff approved to lead a UIS study abroad program enrollment in Gallagher Student Health and Special Risk Insurance is required. The only exceptions are students studying abroad through the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) which has it’s own insurance requirement.
- Enroll in the Gallagher Program online
- Gallagher Student Assistance ID Card (for students approved to study abroad)
- Gallagher Insurance Brochure
- US State Department information for students travelling abroad
- World Health Organization (WHO) country information
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) country information