The Office of International Student Services (ISS) serves the UIS community by assisting international students, faculty and staff in understanding and complying with US immigration laws and regulations. We support the immigration, academic, and cultural experience of all UIS international students.
The Office of International Student Services (ISS) is dedicated to the highest standards of excellence and best professional practices in the field of International Student Advising. We are dedicated to helping international students at the University of Illinois Springfield.
ISS provides the support and assistance necessary for international students to achieve their educational goals and to ensure institutional compliance with government immigration regulations. The staff is available to guide students on immigration matters (visa document questions, government paperwork, work authorization processes), to present orientation and special programs, to help with planning, promoting and presenting social events, and to provide cross-cultural counseling and academic and financial advising.
Our F-1 international students represent 49 Countries from around the World!
Immigration Check-In is required of all F-1 international students for SEVIS registration.
OPT STEM students must adhere to the Reporting Requirements.
- Advises international students, their dependents, and University departments on compliance with US immigration laws and regulations
- Recommends and approves immigration benefits
- Verifies, tracks, and submits student status notifications through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), as required by the US Department of Homeland Security
- Advises on adjustment to US society and American culture, academic concerns and community resources
- Processes forms I-20, travel signatures, employment requests, and advises on maintaining status, social security numbers, and other immigration related matters
- Conducts workshops and orientation sessions for international students and UIS departments
ISS fully supports and subscribes to the Code of Ethics of NAFSA: Association of International Educators and follows this code in all our policies and practices.
Office of International Student Services
University of Illinois Springfield
Human Resources Building, Room 10
One University Plaza, MS HRB 10
Springfield, Illinois 62703-5407
Monday - Thursday: 2pm to 4pm
Please bring your iCard with you. You are also encouraged to make an appointment with your DSO.
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM