F-1 Students transferring from another institution within the United States to UIS
If you are currently an F-1 student in good standing at your current school, you can have your SEVIS record transferred to UIS. You must begin your classes or program within five months of transferring out of your current school, completing your program, or the end date of your Optional Practical Training (OPT) employment, whichever comes earlier. If you do not meet this requirement, you can depart the country and return as a new F-1 non-immigrant. International travel is not advised during the SEVIS transfer process. Please do not travel abroad until your SEVIS record has been transferred to UIS and you have been issued your new I-20 document.
- Please notify your previous school that you have been accepted for admission at UIS and provide the DSO there with a copy of your admission letter. Ask the DSO to transfer your SEVIS record to UIS. The SEVIS school code for the University of Illinois Springfield is CHI214F06390000. If you are currently on OPT, you will want to postpone the release date until you have completed your work, but the record must be transferred when you begin your new program. You should discuss your SEVIS record Release Date with the DSO at your current school or a DSO at UIS if you have any questions.
- Complete the “Transfer-in I-20 Request Form” via iStart. Instructions can be found on the Initial Form I-20 webpage.
- After the SEVIS Release Date has passed, UIS will verify your admission documents and issue a new initial I-20 for you. Please sign this document as soon as you receive it. This is an Initial Attendance – Transfer Pending Form I-20.
- Report to the UIS Office of International Student Services within 15 days of the program start-date at UIS for school transfer processing. Bring with you all your travel documents: passport, visa, form I-94, and transfer I-20. You will be required to attend International Student Check-In and Orientation prior to the start of classes, so please plan accordingly.
- After you have attended Check-In, Orientation, and have officially registered for classes at UIS, your SEVIS record will be updated and you will receive a new form I-20.
- Keep all previous form I-20s for your records.
F-1 Students leaving UIS to attend another institution within the United States
International students that plan to transfer out to another US institution must complete the Transfer Out E-Form via iStart. Please attach a copy of the admission letter to your new university with this e-form. In addition, students that have never attended UIS (only entered the US on an I-20 issued by UIS) will also need to submit the New Student Check-In Form via iStart. You will need to upload a copy of your visa, passport, and most recent I-94. A DSO will need to register your SEVIS record before we can complete the Transfer Out process.
The Transfer Release Date is the date your SEVIS record will be transferred to your new school. If you need assistance determining this date, please contact ISS prior to completing the e-form. Once your record is transferred, after the Transfer Release Date, UIS will no longer have access to your SEVIS record. All travel and employment benefits authorized through UIS will end on your Transfer Release Date. If you are currently on OPT, your OPT authorization expires on the Transfer Release Date.
If you are traveling outside the US prior to the start of the program at your new school, you must re-enter the US with the new school’s Form I-20.
Make sure that all necessary steps are taken with the Office of Records and Registration prior to transferring to a new university. Your responsibilities prior to transferring can be found on the Withdrawing Students page.