Federal regulations require that all changes of physical address by F-1 international students be reported within 10 days of the move. UIS students must update their address in their UIS Account and in SEVIS via your iStart account.

In order to change your mailing address in UIS Self-Service, please follow the steps below:

  1. Go to your Self-Service Account
  2. Click on the UIS logo
  3. Enter in your UIS NetID and password
  4. Click on the “Log In” button
  5. Under Student Self-Service, Click on “Home Page”
  6. Click on "Personal Information"
  7. Scroll down to the Address section.
  8. In the Address section, you should have a mailing address and a permanent address listed. If you do not, then you will need to click "Add New" and choose the address type (mailing address) from the drop-down list. Your mailing address is the address you are currently living at in the USA.
  9. It is important to know that you should NEVER change your permanent international address to your local address. Both your permanent address AND your mailing address need to be in the Self-Service system and they should not match one another. Your permanent address in your home country should only be changed if your family moves to a new address in your home country.
  10. You will also need to have at least one Emergency Contact listed. Your emergency contact should be a family member in your home country.  To add your emergency contact, click on “Add New” in the appropriate section.

In order to change your mailing address in SEVIS, click on “Address and Phone Update Form” from your iStart account. Students on OPT must update their address via the SEVP Portal. You will receive an email regarding the SEVP Portal once your OPT is approved and after your OPT start date.

Make sure to use the correct format for your U.S. address.  If you live on-campus, view the Residence Life Addresses page for assistance.