WHO NEEDS A NEW F-1 VISA?
Your F-1 visa needs to be valid for entry to the US but can expire during your enrollment at the University of Illinois Springfield if you stay in the US. If you are studying full-time at the University of Illinois Springfield with a valid F-1 status, you do NOT need to obtain a new F-1 visa while you are in the US. You only need to obtain a new F-1 visa if you plan to travel outside of the US and return to the US to study. If your F-1 visa expires before you travel outside of the US, you need to apply for a new visa to re-enter the US.
HOW TO OBTAIN A NEW F-1 VISA
In general, to obtain a new F-1 visa, you need to follow the same requirements as a student who is applying for an F-1 visa for the first time. Please view our Obtaining Your F-1 Visa page for more information.
WHERE TO OBTAIN YOUR F-1 VISA
You can only obtain a new F-1 visa outside the US. It is possible to obtain a new F-1 visa in a country other than your home country, however, the US Department of State recommends that you obtain your visa at the US embassy or consulate in your country.
For more information about the visa process, visit the following US government websites:
- Obtaining an F-1 Student Visa – US Immigration and Customs Enforcement website
- Questions About Visas? – US Department of State FAQ
- US Embassy, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions – country specific visa requirements
- Visa Wait Times – for Interview Appointments and Processing
- Applying for a Visa in Canada or Mexico