J1 Visa Information

The J1 visa is used by Research Scholars, Professors and Short-term Scholars.

  1. Sponsor completes the J1 procurement form;
  2. Sponsor in the department/college completes procurement form, attaches any necessary supporting documents (such as proof of funding),  and obtains appropriate approvals/signatures,
  3. Sponsor submits form to Study Away Program;
  4. Study Away Program prepares form DS-2019 – usually within two weeks;
  5. Study Away Program sends DS-2019 packet to visitor, with copy to college.

When the visitor is abroad, he/she will make an appointment to present the DS-2019 and visa application to the U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for a J-1 visa. Spouse and children may apply for J-2 dependent visas.

If the visitor is in the U.S., DS-2019 may, in most circumstances, be mailed to the Immigration Service with a change of status request. Approval may take several months.

If visitor is in the U.S., on another institution’s J-1 program, he/she may usually transfer to our program if the category remains the same and if the time limit is not exceeded.

J-1 visa holders are not benefit eligible.

J-1 visa holders must be covered by health insurance while in the USA. Sponsors must inform the visiting scholars of this and work with Study Away Program to insure that they have coverage.