Health Insurance for UIS Students, Faculty, and Staff Traveling Abroad.

The University of Illinois system maintains a group policy for international health insurance coverage for:

  • All participants in a UIS program of study outside of the USA, including conducting research, fieldwork and internships;
  • faculty and staff leading study abroad programs;
  • faculty and staff traveling outside of the USA on official university business.

For individuals who are approved to participate in a study abroad program through UIS and for faculty and staff approved to lead a UIS study abroad program enrollment in Gallagher Student Health and Special Risk Insurance is required. The only exceptions are students studying abroad through the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) which has it’s own insurance requirement.

All participants in a UIS Faculty-Led Program

The Study Away Program will be enrolling the faculty/staff/students participating in any UIS Faculty-Led Short Programs. Once enrolled, the participant will receive a welcome email from Gallagher with information and instructions.

Other Students, Faculty, and Staff Traveling Abroad

The traveler will be responsible for enrolling themselves in the Gallagher Travel Health Insurance. U of I faculty and staff will be enrolled free of charge. Students will need to pay the fee required to enroll in the Travel Insurance.

Travelers will need to enroll through the Gallagher website by completing the registration form. Note that there are two forms. One for faculty/staff and another for students. Please complete the appropriate one given your affiliation with UIS.