Fall 2023 Outdoor Adventure Trips
Canoe/Kayak at UIS Field Station
Join Campus Recreation on a free, afternoon canoe/kayak float. Transportation and canoe/kayak equipment will be provided. We have multiple dates for this trip so find the time that works best for you and your friends.
September 16: Registration opens August 28
September 22: Registration opens September 5
September 29: Registration opens September 11
Moonlight Canoe Trip
Join Campus Recreation on a moonlit canoe trip across Lake Springfield. The highlight of this trip will be the September Harvest Moon, which will be at its peak brightness.
September 28: Registration opens September 11
Hike at Starved Rock State Park
Join Campus Recreation on a free, afternoon hike through Starved Rock State Park. It’s known for its steep sandstone canyons formed by glacial meltwater. Several, including the St. Louis, French and Wildcat canyons, have waterfalls.
September 30: Registration opens September 11
Hike at Carpenter Park
Join Campus Recreation for a free, afternoon hike through Carpenter Park. Part of the park is a dedicated Illinois Nature Preserve and has been designated as an Important Bird Area of Illinois.
October 14: Registration opens September 25
New Salem Candlewalk
Join Campus Recreation as we stroll through New Salem State Park. The Candlelight Walk offers the only opportunity to see the village at night. Period clothed interpreters will be inside many of the log homes and shops in the village to talk about life in 19th century Illinois.
October 7: Registration opens September 18
Canoe/Kayak at Sugar Creek
Join Campus Recreation for the final canoe trip of the season at the beautiful Sugar Creek. Transportation and canoe/kayak equipment will be provided.
October 20: Registration open October 2
*A UIS Student is defined as a currently enrolled student being assessed the Rec Center portion of the General Fee.
If you have any questions concerning Outdoor Adventures trips please contact the office of Campus Recreation at 217-206-7103.
Outdoor Adventures Equipment Rental
If you would like to plan your own adventure you can rent the equipment you need from Campus Rec. Click the following link to see a list of the equipment available for rent. Outdoor Adventures Equipment Rental Price (pdf)
*Please note that you do not need to rent equipment if you are participating in an Outdoor Adventures trip offered by Campus Rec
Equipment Rental Policies and Procedures
- Any Campus Rec or UIS Community Member may rent equipment from Campus Recreation. All individuals must have a valid UIS icard to rent Outdoor Adventures equipment. Payment is due at the time of the rental.
- Reservations for equipment are required to ensure the equipment desired is available for rent. Reservations are made on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Please contact Campus Recreation 2-3 business days before your trip to check out equipment.
- It is the responsibility of the renter to inspect equipment and be sure it is all there and in good condition. If something is missing or in need of repair, a Campus Rec staff member must be notified immediately so it can be recorded before equipment is checked out. If for some reason the renter fails to inspect the equipment, he/she is held responsible for damaged or missing equipment upon its return.
- Each renter must sign a Campus Rec waiver at time of rental. The renter will be held financially responsible for any damages or loss of equipment.
- Times to return equipment will be established when the equipment is checked out. Returned equipment will be inspected by a Campus Rec staff member. Fines for dirty, lost or damaged equipment may be assessed.
- Fines: The fee for late returns will be the cost of one day’s rental for each day past the due date. Renters will incur all costs for repair/replacement of any damaged or lost items.
To make a reservation contact Campus Recreation at 217.206.7103 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. To ensure your equipment is available, please contact Campus Recreation 2-3 business days in advance.