Overview of Transferring to UIS
An applicant who holds one of the following degrees from an Illinois regionally accredited college or university is admissible as a junior and is considered to have met the UIS general education requirements:
- Associate in Arts, or
- Associate in Arts and Sciences
- Associate in Sciences (degree awarded before Fall 2016)
An applicant who has earned an Associate in Sciences from an Illinois regionally accredited college or university as of the Fall of 2016 is admissible as a junior but may not have satisfied the General Education requirements for UIS.
Additional Information & Requirements
- First year applicants with less than 30 hours of transfer credit should apply as a freshman and must meet freshman admission requirements. They must also submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- Students with 30 or more hours of college credit can be admitted if they have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Admission to the junior year at UIS is granted to applicants who have completed 60 semester (90 quarter) hours of credit with a “C” average or better from a regionally accredited Illinois college or university.
- Admission to the junior year at UIS is also granted to applicants who are seeking a second bachelor’s degree and have graduated from a regionally accredited Illinois college or university. UIS will consider all general education requirements met.
- We know that individuals learn in different ways. They bring experience that may have been acquired outside the classroom. Contact the Center for Academic Success staff to find out how to turn prior experiences into academic credit.
- Military connected applicants may be eligible to receive credit for military training. UIS follows ACE recommendations for awarding academic credit for military training. Such academic credit may be used toward the student’s degree plan. Receive an admission application fee waiver by submitting your DD-214 with their application for admission. We also have numerous other assistant options, specifically for veterans assistance.