Prior to enrolling at UIS we encourage you to reach out to your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within your Military Service to make sure you fully understand the benefits available to you.

In order to receive Veterans Affairs (VA) educational benefits, you must be admitted to or enrolled in a program leading to a degree or certificate awarded by the University of Illinois at Springfield. If you are taking remedial, refresher, or prerequisite courses, you must provide a written memo on department letterhead from your dean or academic advisor indicating that the courses will transfer to your degree program.

To receive maximum educational benefit payments under the Veterans’ Readjustment Benefits Act of 1966, undergraduate, graduate, and professional students are required to be registered and actively attending as full-time students. For VA purposes, full-time status is defined as actively attending at least 12 concurrent hours during fall or spring or 6 concurrent hours during summer.

You must submit a Veterans Enrollment Certification Request Form for each term you request payment of VA educational benefits. You are encouraged to submit the form after you’ve finalized your enrollment each term. Post-9/11 GI Bill® students should also submit a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility received each term.

Residency is determined when you submit your application for admission. If you’re actively serving in the military and are stationed in Illinois or your home of record is Illinois, contact the Office of the Registrar before completing your application for residency. If you are actively receiving Chapter 33 Post 9/11 Veterans Education Benefits, you’re considered an Illinois resident for tuition purposes only after you’ve been verified as receiving Chapter 33 by Veteran Services.

The use of educational benefits at UIS is coordinated through the Office of Financial Assistance located in University Hall Building 1015. The Veterans Certifying Official is:

Angela Tippey
P: (217) 206-6724

To initiate this process you will need to complete the appropriate Request for Veteran Program Benefits form. (NOTE: You will need to complete a new form each semester) The form for each semester can be found on the UIS Financial Aid website’s forms page. From this page, select the academic year you are applying for, then scroll down to the section labeled Veterans and select the form for the correct semester. Complete the document and upload it into the UIS Self Service Portal using the following directions:

  1. Log in to the UIS Enterprise Self-Service system at
  2. Click on the top Financial Aid Tab
  3. Click on Student Requirements
  4. Select Aid Year
  5. Next to the Requirement you are submitting, click only on == >UPLOAD.
  6. Choose the file you are needing to upload and select SUBMIT.

For more information on uploading documents, please read our Document Upload Configuration Guidelines.

For benefit specific information please visit the links below: