At a Glance
- Calendar: Semester
- Colleges: Business and Management, Education and Human Services, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Public Affairs and Administration
- Research Funding: Approximately $7 million annually
- History: Established in 1969 as Sangamon State University by the Illinois General Assembly. On July 1, 1995, became a campus of the University of Illinois, thereafter known as the University of Illinois Springfield.
- Location: Southeast side of Springfield, Illinois, near Lake Springfield. Approximately 200 miles southwest of Chicago and 100 miles northeast of St. Louis.
- Campus: 746 acres
5231 bachelor’s degrees, 20 master’s degrees, 1 doctoral program
349Full-time faculty: 220; part-time: 129
797Student employees: 414; Graduate Student Interns/Assistants: 383
- In 2009, student enrollment was about 4,700, including over 900 online students, and over 300 international students. In the following year, it crossed 5,000.
- UIS has over 85 student organizations which contribute to the campus life, bringing an unforgettable combination of opportunities.
- On August 1st, 2010, the UIS athletic program became a full-fledged member of N.C.A.A Division II.
Total enrollment: 4,956 (fall 2017)
- Undergraduate students: 2,932 (59%)
- Graduate students: 2,024 (41%)
- Full-time: 52%, Part-time: 48%
- Male: 51%, Female: 49%
- Undergraduate: 26
- Graduate: 32
- African-American – 11.7%
- Hispanic: 6.7%
- International – 13%
- All other – 68.4%
Where students come from:
- Illinois: 72%
- Out of state: 15%
- Foreign countries: 13%
Faculty and Staff
- Full-time faculty: 220; part-time: 129
- Full-time staff: 514
- Academic Professionals: 210
- Civil Service: 304
- Part-time employees: 247
- Student employees: 414
- Graduate Student Interns/Assistants: 383
85+ student clubs and organizations.
Member NCAA Div. II, Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC)
Intercollegiate athletic teams:
Baseball; men’s/women’s soccer, men’s/women’s tennis, men’s/women’s basketball, men’s/women’s golf, men’s/women’s cross country, men’s/women’s track and field, softball and volleyball.
952 students reside in campus housing.
AlumniUIS has more than 35,000 living alumni located throughout the world.
31 bachelor’s degrees, 20 master’s degrees, 1 doctoral program. Online majors: 1,681
Top enrolled programs:
- Computer Science
- Business Administration
- Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Computer Science
- Management Information Systems
- Public Administration
- Human Development Counseling
- Business Administration (MBA)
Achievements and Accolades
- US News & World Report – America’s Best Colleges has ranked UIS among the top 15 public regional universities in the Midwest for each of the past eleven years.
- The College of Business and Management is accredited by the AACSB , a distinction earned by less than 5% of business schools worldwide.
- UIS alums comprise 28% of the college-educated workforce residing in Springfield.
- UIS and its students and alumni add $176 million to the local economy annually.
UIS FY 2017 Budget: $88.8 million
(15 credit hrs.)
|Fees & Assessments||$3,258||$3,258|
|Room & Board||$9,700||$9,700|
|Books & Supplies||$1,200||$1,200|