Student Organizations at UIS
Student Organizations are an integral part of campus life. UIS students have formed and registered 60+ Organizations (AY20-21) and hosted many events for students.
You can find a directory of Registered Student Organizations, and campus events, on UIS Connection.
The Office of Student Life can assist you with the following
- Starting an organization
- Program and event development
- Individual and group problem solving
- Leadership development
- Membership recruitment
- Fundraising suggestions
- Referrals to additional campus and community resources
- SOFA Requests and Reports
For more information, contact:
- Mary Umbarger
Student Organizations and Leadership Coordinator
- Phone: (217) 206-4762
Forming a Student Organization
Procedures for forming and maintaining a student organization
The University of Illinois Springfield encourages students to form new organizations and maintain currently established organizations.
All student organizations must register on a yearly basis. Student Life recommends that existing student organizations re-register every academic year by Sept. 15th. Failure to register each year by this deadline will result in any existing space requests to be cancelled and the existing webspace to be terminated.
New Student Organizations may form up until March 15th each year. If you are interested in forming a new organization and need assistance, please contact us.
In order to start a new student organization, you must have
- A current constitution and by-laws with a statement of the purposes and goals. View a model constitution.
- At least FOUR active members that are currently registered UIS students.
- A UIS faculty or staff advisor.
- It is required that the president and treasurer attend RSO Leadership Summit. Additional RSO Workshops are offered at various times throughout the semester.
All student organizations must agree to the following
- The organization must comply with all University Policies and Procedures as outlined in the Student Handbook.
- All student organization members must be UIS students.
- The organization shall not discriminate against a member or prospective member on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, political affiliation, age, marital status, handicap, unfavorable discharge from the military or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era, except as specifically exempted by law.