Robert W. Smith, PhD, is a full professor in the Department of Public Administration and currently serves as the Dean of the College of Public Affairs and Administration. He holds a PhD and an MPA in Public Administration from the University at Albany (SUNY) and a BA in History/Political Science from the College of Saint Rose. Previously Dean Smith worked as a Senior Budget Official for the New York State Division of the Budget in the Governor’s Executive Department. Dr. Smith served during the administrations of Governors’ Cuomo and Pataki. Dean Smith was also the Regional Director for Upstate and Central New York for US Senator and former UN Ambassador Daniel Patrick Moynihan. He also served in various capacities in local government and has run for elected public office. Moreover, Dr. Smith has served in various leadership roles in higher education, nonprofit organizations and in the private sector. His main areas of interest are public budgeting process and structure, state budgeting, internal controls and auditing, participatory budgeting, and ethics and accountability of budget systems. He has published in journals such as Public Administration Review, Administration and Society, Public Integrity, International Journal of Public Administration, Journal of Public Affairs Administration, and Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting and Financial Management. He is co-author of Public Budgeting in America, 6thEd. Dr. Smith holds membership in and has been active in ASPA, APSA, MPSA, MPAC, ABFM, SECoPA and NASPAA.
Office: PAC 430
Phone: (217) 206-6523
- (2019) The Trump factor in American politics. Albany, NY: SUNY Press.
- (2018) Public Administration: A case study approach. Engelwood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- (2017) “The Trump factor in American politics: Teaching Trump through the lens of practical politics.” In the Covering 2016 – A “Huge, Unbelievable” election year: Teaching in a time of change. The Teaching and Learning Consortium form the Georgia Political Science Association, Vol. 2, 15-20.
- (2017) “Ethics in government finance” In Farazmand, A., Ed. Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Policy, and Governance. Boca Raton, FL: SpringerMeteor.
- (2016) Smith, R. & Prysmakova, P. Development of cross-sector dialogues on ethics: A field study with global applications. Public Integrity, 18(4), 376-395.
- (2016) Lynch, T. D., Smith, R., & Sun, J. Public budgeting in America, 6th edition. Irvine, CA: Melvin & Leigh.