In compliance with Illinois Law, 110 ILCS 305/80, the use of search firms at the University of Illinois is limited to searches for the President of the University and when the President and Board of Trustees demonstrate a justifiable need.
Accordingly, searches involving a search firm shall conform to one or more of the following criteria:
- Search for the President of the University;
- When the position is at a level of seniority that requires strict confidentiality in the initial stages and a level of interaction with potential candidates is required that current staff cannot appropriately provide;
- When the position requires extensive recruiting and networking due to a highly competitive market, as well as to create a diverse candidate pool;
- When the potential candidates are in a specialized function outside traditional areas of higher education.
All use of search firms requires prior approval by the Chancellor and the President .
To request authorization to use a search firm, please prepare the following information:
- Division and Unit conducting the search
- Title of position to be filled
- Name of search firm requested
- Detailed justification for requesting use of a search firm
Administrative Units proposing use of search firms should send requests as noted below:
- To the Provost (for colleges and academic units) or to the relevant Vice Chancellor (for administrative units) for preliminary review and recommendation prior to submission to the Chancellor
- The Provost or Vice Chancellor will email their recommendation with the information required above to the Chancellor
- The Chancellor will review the recommendation and determine whether engaging a search firm is appropriate
- If the recommendation is approved by the Chancellor, the Chancellor will notify the UIS Associate Chancellor for Access & Equal Opportunity, and request approval from the President
- If approved by the President, the President’s response will be sent to the Chancellor, copying the UIS Office of Access & Equal Opportunity, as well as University Administration’s Equal Opportunity Office for record-keeping purposes
- If approved, at the conclusion of the search (once all expenses have been accounted for), the College/Administrative Unit will provide the UIS Associate Chancellor for Access & Equal Opportunity the search firm contract and all related purchase orders detailing expenses.