The University recognizes that efforts to retain Academic Professional and Civil Service staff who have received a job offer outside of the University of Illinois System may be warranted in limited situations as described by this policy. The University also recognizes that there are financial limits to its ability to make counteroffers and must be aware of the impact that such offers can cause in the salary structure on campus. Supervisors may request, subject to Division Head (Chancellor, Provost, Vice-Chancellor) approval, to make a counteroffer consistent with this policy.
Counteroffers shall only be approved if the following factors are met:
- Employee has received a verifiable offer for a position outside of the University of Illinois System.
- Employee has never previously received an increase in pay for a counteroffer during their employment with University of Illinois Springfield.
- Employee’s current position was historically difficult to fill. (i.e. failed searches, lack of qualified applicants.)
- Employee has unique skillset or knowledge base that will make it difficult to recruit a replacement.
- The unit must have funds available for the proposed increase.
The amount of the counteroffer shall not exceed 7% of the employee’s current salary. All counteroffers must be approved through the normal approval channels for hiring and salary adjustments.
 This includes all entities within the University of Illinois System, including the three universities, regional campuses, UI Health, research facilities, Extension offices, System offices, Discovery Partners Institute, Innovate Springfield or the University of Illinois Foundation.