What are some common mistakes students and families make when filing the FAFSA?
From not filling out the FAFSA® form correctly, to not completing all sections on time, or forgetting to sign and submit your form before the deadline, there are several common mistakes that students and families can easily avoid.
10 Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Not completing the FAFSA form at all
- Delaying submitting the FAFSA
- Not getting an FSA ID before filling out the FAFSA
- Not using your FSA ID to start the FAFSA form
- Not using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)
- Not reading definitions carefully or taking time to check for information errors
- Inputting incorrect details, such as inaccurate tax information
- Failing to use a legal name, correct social security number or correct address
- Listing only one college
- Not signing the FAFSA form
Curious to learn how you can avoid making these common mistakes with filing your FAFSA® form? Read more about the top 10 FAFSA® mistakes students and families make here.
We know financial aid can be complicated, and we’re always available to help. Please include your UIN in all correspondence with our office.
University Hall Building, 1015
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
firstname.lastname@example.org | 217-206-6724