- Cleaning up deleted items / sent items folders
- If you delete items that you wanted to keep, we can not restore them. We back up the Exchange database as a whole, as a protection against disaster. It’s impractical to restore an entire Exchange database to restore a single mailbox. The good news is that Exchange doesn’t really delete mail items until 30 days after you’ve told it to. It first keeps deleted items in a special folder called Deleted Items. After the Deleted Items folder is emptied, items are held in a dumpster for 30 days, and you can usually find missing items there.
- Recovering Deleted Items in Outlook –
- Click on the Folder tab then Recover Deleted Items
- Click the message you want to recover, and then click Recover Selected Items
- Recovering Deleted Items in Webmail –
- In your email folder list, right-click Deleted Items, and then click Recover deleted items
- Select the item you want, and then select Recover
- Create and use Outlook Personal folders [.pst files]
- Move attachments to cloud services [Box]
To learn more about Mailbox Management please review the Outlook Folder Management information.
- Do not give out your password – EVER
- Do not click on links or download files from people you do not know or do not have a reason to be receiving things from
- Avoid 16 digit numbers. The mail system will think these numbers are credit card numbers and refuse to send the mail
- When sending mail off campus, keep the number of recipients per messages low. Most spam filters will start to look suspiciously at mail messages that have over 200 recipients
- Avoid spamming: Spam Filter limits outbound mail to 100 recipients per 30 minutes from any one user. If it is over that, it will rate control the mail – meaning it sends it out very slowly
For more information about spam at UIS and email abuse please visit the Email Abuse page.
How to get people to read your email
- Use the appropriate distribution group
- Use a department address rather than your own (people will read and email from email@example.com long before one from firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please contact the ITS Client Services Help Desk for any questions about Email at UI
Toll Free: (877) 847-0443
Check the status of a request, reopen a request, or add a comment to an existing request.