Objective: The Desktop Refresh Program is a cost-sharing initiative dedicated to ensuring that full-time faculty and staff in participating units have workstations available to fully participate in a technology-enabled work and learning environment, while making the replacement process seamless and cost-efficient.
- How often?
- Who is eligible?
- Configuration options
- Repurposing DRP computers
- Updating owners of DRP computers
How often: ITS will provide every full-time faculty and staff of CBM, CHST, CLASS, PAE, and participating administrative units with a desktop or laptop computer once every four years. The oldest computers will be refreshed first. ITS will attempt to refresh approximately the same number of computers each year.
Who is eligible: All full-time faculty and staff from participating units– one computer per position once every four years. Individual staff/faculty are required to turn over their existing DRP computer in order to receive a new one. Computer assignments are for four years – a new faculty or staff filling a vacated position will receive the existing computer. Retired faculty who continue to teach will keep their existing DRP computers.
Computer replacements occur twice a year. When computers become eligible for replacement, the faculty and staff will be contacted via e-mail and directed to a Web form listing their options. The e-mail message notifying them of the impending replacement will contain a deadline for their reply. If they do not respond by that time, replacement will be deferred until the next phase.
Once the new computers are ready for delivery, ITS technology support staff will contact faculty and staff directly to set up a mutually-convenient time to deliver the new equipment. ITS staff will transfer data from the old computer to the new one.
Configuration options: Faculty and staff can choose between standard-model Apple Macs or Dell PCs, in either desktop or laptop configurations (subject to change each year):
When it is time to select your computer the options of the different desktops and laptops will be available in the Desktop Refresh selection app.
Repurposing DRP Computers
- Replaced DRP computers are returned to ITS.
- Computers being replaced will be evaluated by ITS to determine if they are useful for repurposing.
- ITS will keep as many of the computers as necessary for special needs (spares, computer labs, etc.).
- Repurposed DRP machines can be used for temporary or student employees, for adjunct faculty, or in cases where additional computers are needed.
- Requests for repurposed computers are made to ITS Client Services.
- The requesters should agree to purchase service warranty for two years by providing a CFOAP on the request form. The approximate cost is $120/year.
- Upon approval, ITS will set up and deliver the computers.
- Repurposed computers will remain on ITS inventory.
To request a repurposed computer, please complete and submit the request form. You will also need to provide a CFOAP to cover the cost of a 2-year service warranty, after gaining the needed approval/authorization from your dean/director/department head.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.