UIS students, faculty, and staff have access to a rich collection of software applications and hardware for general computing, research, and multimedia development.
Faculty may request additional software and or hardware in support of their instruction by sending e-mail to Kara McElwrath [email@example.com] with a description of the classroom need. Requests must be made eight weeks in advance, and request fulfillment is contingent on availability of funding.
University of Illinois WebStore
The University of Illinois WebStore offers over 350 software titles for purchase or download, WebStore strives to provide the software you need at the lowest possible price. When looking for software start at the University of Illinois WebStore.
Instructional software listed is available on campus. If you need assistance locating where it is installed or require the software on your University owned computer please contact ITS Client Services [Phone: (217) 206-6000 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org]
Visualization / Technical Computing
Research / Data Analysis
[Access, Excel, OneDrive, OnNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word]
- UIS faculty and staff may obtain the latest version of the Office suite software for their university-owned machines by contacting ITS Client Services.
UIS students and employees can take advantage of Office 365 to download Office applications on their personally-owned devices, free for use while they are enrolled in courses/employed at UIS. Office 365 also includes use of the Office mobile apps, allowing you to create and edit Office documents on your mobile devices. Students and employees may go to the Office365 Login page to start taking advantage of this great resource! Instructions for logging into Office 365 are available. Once you have downloaded and installed Office, you may be prompted to log in the first time you open an application (i.e. when you open Microsoft Word). Please enter NetID@uisad.uis.edu and your password. (Please note this is NOT your email address; you will need to add ‘uisad’.)
To log into the Office apps on mobile devices, please enter your NetID@uisad.uis.edu and your password. (Please note this is NOT your email address; you will need to add ‘uisad’.) Step-by-step instructions for logging into the Office Mobile app are available; these instructions were created on an Android device, but the steps are similar for iOS and Windows devices.
Additionally, both students and employees now have access to OneDrive, providing 1TB of cloud storage. You may access OneDrive by going to the Office365 Login page and logging in with your email address and password.
Microsoft Skype for Business
- To learn more about Skype for Business here at UIS please visit our Skype for Business webpage
Free for Students and Employees
- Box.com is FERPA ready and has increased security on the application, network, and facilities level. Box.com provides high-end availability and reliability with a 99.9% uptime. Not only does Box.com already integrate with other online systems such as Google Apps, LinkedIn, and smartphones but also provides integration with existing systems by using OpenBox API.To learn more about Box please visit the ITS Box webpage.
Free for Students and Employees
- To learn more about Zoom here at UIS please visit our Zoom webpage
Adobe Creative Cloud
[Acrobat Pro, Adobe Audition, Adobe Muse, Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Animate, Bridge, Dreamweaver, ExtendScript Toolkit, Extension Manager, Flash Builder, Gaming SDK, Illustrator, InCopy, InDesign, Lightroom, Media Encoder, Photoshop, Prelude, Scout, SpeedGrade]
- Adobe Creative Cloud gives users access to a collection of software developed by Adobe for graphic design, video editing, web development, photography, and cloud services.
- Adobe Creative Cloud is now available to University of Illinois students free of charge until August 1, 2021.To access Adobe Creative Cloud, students must:
- Complete this free offer on the WebStore
- Follow the instructions to sign in and download applications
Most students should be able to log in and download applications within a few hours. However, it may take up to 24 hours for Adobe to activate a student’s license. If a student only sees “Trial” or “Buy” options, Adobe has not yet activated their account.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Free for Students and Employees
- Kaltura Capture is a lecture capture system to be used on or off campus allowing you to record whatever is displayed on the computer screen along with your audio and video.To learn more about Kaltura Capture please visit the ITS Lecture Capture webpage.
Visualization / Decision Making
- ArcGIS is an integrated collection of GIS [Geographic Information System] software products for building a complete GIS. The Software WebStore has a site license for this software. Logon to the University of Illinois WebStore to access this offer.
Mathematica by Wolfram
- Mathematica is a program for performing numerical and symbolic mathematical calculations with many built-in graphical capabilities. Mathematica is installed on all lab and classroom PCs and is available for faculty and staff office PCs and Macs. Students may purchase Mathematica at a minimal cost from the University of Illinois WebStore.
On Campus Computers Only for Students | MATLAB is Free for Employees
- MATLAB® is the high-level language and interactive environment used by millions of engineers and scientists worldwide. It lets you explore and visualize ideas and collaborate across disciplines including signal and image processing, communications, control systems, and computational finance.
Research / Data Analytics
- SPSS is installed in most of the computer labs on campus and is available on all of the instructor stations in the classrooms. It is also available to faculty and staff for free and at a discounted cost of $70 for student through University of Illinois WebStore. This application is available for both Mac and PC.
- Qualtrics is a simple to use web-based survey tool to conduct survey research, evaluations and other data collection activities.
If you want to learn more about Qualtrics, here are some training resources:
- Stata is a complete, integrated statistical package that provides everything you need for data analysis, data management, and graphics.
- The SAS System, originally Statistical Analysis System, is an integrated system of software products provided by the SAS Institute that enables the programmer to perform:
- data entry, retrieval, management, and mining
- report writing and graphics
- statistical and mathematical analysis
- business planning, forecasting, and decision support
- operations research and project management
- quality improvement
- applications development
- warehousing (extract, transform, load)
Connect & Develop
Computer Lab Use Only
- Vision allows the faculty to broadcast their computer screens to all the PCs in the lab, and take control of another computer for instruction or demonstration purposes.
Citrix Virtual Desktop
Free for Students and Employees
- Citrix Virtual Desktop allows users (whether on or off campus) to access a virtual computer that runs all software for which UIS has licensing.
- To access Citrix, and go to https://uiscitrix.uis.edu and log in with your NetID and password. The first time you log in, click Desktops from the button bar at the top, then Details. Then click Add To Favorites. From now on, when you log into Citrix you will see your desktop on the Favorites tab. Once you click your desktop, you will see a Windows desktop launch on your computer with course-related software installed and ready to use.
- Files may be saved to Documents, up to 500 MB, temporarily for the duration of the semester. All files will be deleted at the end of each semester. Files saved any location other than Documents will not be saved. (For example, files should NOT be saved to the Desktop.) We encourage you to take advantage of cloud storage, such as Box or Google Drive, to safely and securely store your files. Citrix also works on mobile devices through the free Citrix Receiver app. Go to your mobile device store and search for Citrix Receiver. The server name is https://uiscitrix.uis.edu.
Examity offers students a secure and convenient way to take proctored exams online from anywhere, any time of the day. Learn more about Examity on the COLRS website.
Free for Computer Science Students and Computer Science Employees
- VMware’s suite of virtualization products. If you need the vSphere client for your course work, please contact your Computer Science instructor to make sure the appropriate version is installed. To download other VMware applications (including VMware Workstation, Fusion for Macs, etc), please visit VMware IT Academy Program.
Respondus and Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Respondus is a Windows-based authoring tool that makes it easy to create and manage exams for Canvas. Learn more about Respondus
- Respondus LockDown Browser is a customized browser that increases the security of online testing in Canvas. Learn more about Respondus Lockdown Browser
Respondus Monitor is available as an integrity option for low-stakes exams. Although it does not provide real-time proctoring, it will record the exam session and flag suspicious behavior automatically. Learn more at the COLRS Blog
U of I Oracle Site License
- In the Fall of 2000, the University of Illinois purchased a site license for a set of Oracle server products. Please note that only the Database and Application Server are covered under the site license. All other software must be licensed separately. The site license covers educational, research, and administrative use of the Oracle Database and Oracle Application Server including the following major products:
- Oracle 9i database
- Oracle 10g database
- Oracle 11g database
- Oracle 9i application server
- Oracle 10g application server
- Oracle 11g application server
- Oracle 9i client
- Oracle 10g client
- Oracle 11g client
- Advanced Security
- Diagnostics Management Pack
- Tuning Management Pack
- Change Management Pack
- Oracle Internet File System
If you have any additional questions about what is covered under the site license, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
You are allowed to run this product on your University owned machine, personal laptop and/or personal home machine. The site license covers only educational, research, and university administrative use for students, faculty and staff at all three campuses. Non-faculty employees of the medical center are NOT covered under this contract.
This is a perpetual license and you are eligible to run this product as long as you maintain student, staff or faculty status at the University of Illinois.
Please review the Oracle Support Page for detailed information on product support.
SAP Front End
Free for Management Information Systems Students and Management Information Systems Employees
Microsoft Azure Dev Tools for Teaching [Formerly MSDNAA | DreamSpark | Imagine]
Free for Students and Employees
Azure Dev Tools for Teaching (previously known as Microsoft Imagine Standard and Premium) is a subscription-based offering for accredited schools and departments providing access to tools commonly used in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) programs. It provides professional developer and designer tools, software, and services from Microsoft to your faculty and students. It includes our latest technologies and cloud services to inspire and excite students. And, it provides educators a diverse set of resources to ensure their classrooms challenge, engage, and motivate students in new ways.
Azure Dev Tools for Teaching does NOT include Microsoft Office. It provides tools to departments, faculty, and students to expand their study of software development and testing. See this FAQ for titles included, Azure Dev Tools for Teaching FAQ.
Microsoft Azure Dev Tools for Teaching products may only be used for academic instruction, academic projects, and non-commercial research. Use of Microsoft Azure Dev Tools for Teaching software for commercial purposes is prohibited, except if developing apps and games for the Windows platform to be published on Microsoft app stores for no cost. All licensing information and restrictions are detailed in the Usage Guidelines.
To learn more about the Instructional Hardware listed below click on the topic/item.
Audience Response System [Clickers]
Audio/Video Conference Cameras
General Equipment Checkout
SMART Boards / Podiums
Student Attendance Tracking