UIS Students Registered for Classes – To login to UIS CareerConnect, enter your netID (without the @uis.edu portion) as your username. If this is THE FIRST TIME YOU HAVE LOGGED IN to UIS CareerConnect, use the Need Password button to have your password generated and sent to your UIS email address.

*Any student who has submitted a “Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information” form with Records and Registration has not been registered for UIS CareerConnect. These students will need to manually register for UIS CareerConnect using the form on the CareerConnect homepage.

For help with writing a resume, please contact UIS Career Development Center at 217-206-6508.

All students employees are required to electronically complete an I-9 form. For undergraduate students, I-9 forms are completed electronically in the Office of Financial Assistance. If you are hired for a position, you will need to bring two forms of acceptable documents from the lists on the I-9 form to the Office of Financial Assistance. The most common acceptable documents used are a U.S. Passport or either your UIS I-Card, driver’s license/state ID, and either a certified copy of your birth certificate (from a government agency) or an original Social Security Card.

Your hiring department will then send you a link to Nessie via your UIS e-mail. You must visit the Nessie website and complete additional required forms.

International Students

If you do not have a social security card, you will need to request a letter from the department hiring you. The hiring department must use the letter template available from the Office of International Student Services to type the letter and they must sign it. You will take this letter along with your passport, I-20, and I-94 to the Social Security Office at 3112 Constitution Drive, Springfield, IL (behind Target) to apply for a card.

Once you have a social security card, you need to complete the I-9 form in the Office of Financial Assistance. Then you need to complete the Foreign National Tax Information form in the Payroll Office (HRB 18). To schedule an appointment with the Payroll Office, you should call (217) 206-7211. Be sure to have your passport and visa information with you as well as your Social Security Card when you go there.


Once you obtain a job, you need to complete a timesheet for each pay period that you work. If your department handles timesheets using the department entry method, you will complete a hard copy timesheet. Be sure to fill in the dates and hours you work for each two week pay period and total your hours at the bottom. Be sure to sign the timesheet and have your supervisor sign it (electronic signatures are not acceptable) . Submit this timesheet to whomever enters your hours into the payroll system (Check with your supervisor). If you do web entry of your time, your supervisor will explain the web entry procedure. A timesheet is due on the final day you work for that pay period. Be aware timesheets could be due earlier near breaks and holidays notably Thanksgiving and Christmas. Timesheets cannot be submitted online.

Once your appointment is in the payroll system, you will be paid every other Wednesday. This is the same week that your timesheet is due for the next pay period.