The University of Illinois Springfield offers a wide variety of benefits for faculty and staff.
Employees can choose from a number of competitive health insurance plans, a dental plan, flexible spending plans, several types of term life insurance, long term disability insurance, supplemental investment programs and additional optional offerings. Employees and their children may also be eligible for tuition waivers.
In addition to the benefits mentioned above, UIS provides sick time, shared benefits leave, vacation time, floating holidays, several paid holidays and other opportunities to take time away from work when necessary. Employees are also eligible to receive local merchant discounts with their I-card at participating retailers.
UIS Benefit Programs
University employees may be eligible for one of two benefit programs:
- State Employees Group Insurance Program (SEGIP) - Health insurance and other benefit plans offered by the State of Illinois Department of Central Management Services (CMS) to employees meeting certain eligibility criteria.
- RSL BasicCare - A separate limited plan offered to employees who are not eligible for SEGIP, but who average 30 or more work hours each week on a regular basis. See the ACA page for additional eligibility details.
The University also offers certain optional benefit plans, which may be available to additional groups of employees.
Supplemental Long Term Disability Insurance
Work-Life Balance Benefits and Programs
University employees may be eligible to take part in a variety of other programs which can help to improve work-life balance. Services include wellness and health programs, and discount opportunities.
Be Well Illinois - supports your total wellbeing through information and educational resources such as wellness webinars, monthly health awareness causes, financial wellness, healthy eating, and exercise tips.
Recreation and Wellness Programs – each campus is dedicated to providing awareness, education, and support for healthy lifestyle habits.
SEGIP Adoption Benefit Program - employees who adopt children are eligible for reimbursement of eligible expenses through the Adoption Benefit Program.
SEGIP Smoking Cessation Program - members and their enrolled dependents are eligible to receive a maximum $200.00 rebate upon completion of an approved Smoking Cessation Program.
SEGIP Weight-Loss Benefit – employees are eligible to receive a maximum $200.00 rebate toward the cost of an approved weight-loss program once every three plan years.
State Employee Assistance Programs are available to employees who are eligible for SEGIP. If the employee participates in a State health plan, EAP services are also available to their eligible dependents. The State EAP is a free, voluntary, and confidential program that provides problem identification, counseling, and referral services. Employees will be directed to a Guidance Consultant to assist them with a variety of concerns. All calls and counseling sessions are confidential, except as required by law.
To view and access all services available to you, create an account and login using the steps below:
- Visit https://www.guidanceresources.com/groWeb/login/login.xhtml
- If you have not registered on the ComPsych website:
- Select the Register tab
- Enter Organization Web ID: Stateofillinois and select the Register button
- Choose a User Name and Password
- Enter your preferred email address and choose security questions and answers
- Select the Submit button
- Once registered, log in using your user name and password.
Getting help is easy, convenient, and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 833-955-3400 or 800-697-0353 (TDD/TTY). A Guidance Consultant will answer your questions and, if needed, refer you to a counselor or other resources.
This section provides information on college tuition and service fee waivers available to eligible University employees and their children. Select the appropriate link below to review the policy information and eligibility requirements.
Employee Tuition Waiver
Civil Service Employees and Retirees
Academic Professional or Faculty Employees and Retirees
Child of Employee
Attending University of Illinois
Attending other Illinois Senior Public University
University of Illinois Springfield (UIS) employees should complete and submit the online Tuition Waiver application.
IMPORTANT: Illinois State University (ISU) will no longer accept the online application. Employees who are attending ISU should instead complete the ISU Request for Inter-Institutional Waiver of Tuition for Employees.
The campus Human Resources office will notify the Financial Aid office of the University you plan to attend (or the Human Resources office of the University of Illinois campus you plan to attend).
UIS Employee questions related to tuition waivers should be directed to email@example.com
Tuition Waiver Forms
For more information on which forms to complete and assistance with the forms, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employee Tuition Waiver Application (Online Application)
Application for Child Attending the University of Illinois (Online Application)
Inter-institutional Tuition Waiver Application for Child of Employee
Self-Supporting and Cost Recovery Programs
These programs have unique tuition and fee waiver requirements and tuition schedules, and so are an addendum to the Tuition Waiver Policy.
Cost Recovery Programs are not allocated state funds and must generate all of the program’s funding through tuition and fees. Cost Recovery Programs are approved by the Board of Trustees, and are excluded from all tuition and fee waiver programs, but must honor statutory waivers.
Approved Cost Recovery Programs:
Graduate Academic Partners Online Graduate Degree Programs
- Online MBA - 40PE9875MBAU
- Online MS Finance - 40PE5624MSU
- Online MS Human Resource Management - 40PE5715MSU
- Online MS Healthcare Informatics - 40PE6029MSU
- Online Masters in Cybersecurity Management - 40PE6027MSU
- Masters in Management Information Systems - 40PE9890MSU
Graduate Academic Partners Online Graduate Certificate Programs
- Online Graduate Certificate Human Resource Management (if primary curriculum) - 40PE5325NDEU
- Online Graduate Certificate in Applied Finance (if primary curriculum) - 40PE5592NDEU
- Online Graduate Certificate in Operations & Supply Chain (if primary curriculum) - 40PE5530NDEU
- Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity Administration- 40PE5968NDEU
- Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity Management - 40PE5969NDEU
- Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics - 40PE5640NDEU
- Graduate Certificate in Business Process Management - 40PE5159NDEU
- Graduate Certificate in IT Project Management- 40PE5157NDEU
Self-Supporting Programs do not receive direct state subsidy (general revenue funds) and are usually aimed at non-traditional audiences (e.g. professional, off-campus, online). Self-Supporting Programs may depend on a special Board of Trustees approved tuition rate to cover additional costs of developing and offering the program and are excluded from all tuition and fee waiver programs, but must honor statutory waivers
Approved Self-Supporting Programs:
ION Professional eLearning Programs
Employee Discounts and I-card Perks
Get discounts with your I-card! I-card Perks organizes discounts on dinners out, ice cream, lawn care, and more from local participating merchants. This free service is for all i-card holders. Please be aware that discounts and packages offered to University employees may change or be discontinued at any time. Please contact the company or carrier with questions about available discounts.
- Computer Hardware, Software, & Accessories
- Illini Union Tech Zone (UIUC) - University employees can make purchases through Illini Union Tech Zone to receive discounted pricing on desktop and laptop computers, iPods, and more. Apple, Hewlett Packard, Lenovo, Microsoft, and Dell products are available.
- UIC Bookstore - Students and staff are eligible to receive discounts on computers, software and other accessories at the UIC Bookstore.
- WebStore - Students, faculty, and staff at all three U of I locations - in Urbana-Champaign, Chicago, and Springfield - are eligible to receive significant discounts on over 150 software applications offered by the University of Illinois WebStore.
- Relocation Assistance
- Information on relocation assistance can be found on the Purchasing web site. The contracts described have been awarded to moving companies to help employees and new hires move their belongings.
- Travel Discounts
- Information on travel discounts can be found on the OBFS web site. Discounts are available through preferred vendors for travel transportation and lodging.
- AAA (Roadside Assistance) Membership
- AAA offers a group rate (15% off Basic) membership fee and waiver of $10 enrollment fee. Contact Julie at 217-398-0495, or mail the membership application to AAA, c/o Julie Woller, 1610 S. Neil St., Champaign. While the discount is available through the Champaign AAA office, it is open to employees at any of the University of Illinois campus locations.
- Vehicle Discounts
- Mobile Phone Discounts
- These discounts refer to phone service for personal use only. For details on purchasing service for official University use, please contact the OBFS Purchasing Division.
- AT&T - 18% service discount.
- Foundation Account Number 2601169 is for UIC Staff.
- Foundation Account Number 2596528 is for Champaign and Springfield Staff
- Sprint - Visit Sprint Discount.
- T-Mobile - T-Mobile Switch and Save discount program with ComPsych. Discounts vary depending on the carrier you currently use and the number of lines you are switching. Call T-Mobile at 866-471-1276 to see if you qualify for a ComPsych discount.
- Verizon Wireless - 18% service discount (applies to certain plans and services) & 25% accessories discount. To obtain this discount, fax (888-457-1731) or email email@example.com
Know Your U
This program is designed to provide eligible staff with ways to discover and experience, during their normal workday, the initiatives, research, academic programs, history, and infrastructure at our universities.
Supervisors are strongly encouraged to promote Know Your U engagement for staff in their units and to consider ways to build these experiences into department/unit team building. The overall goal is to help our valuable staff learn about the exciting and transformational activities that occur across our institutions and to provide ways of enhancing pride in our workplaces
- Paid Leave Overview
- Administrative Leave
- Blood/Blood Platelet Donor Leave
- Disability Leave
- Disaster Service Volunteer Leave
- Funeral/Bereavement Leave
- Approved Holidays FY23
- Jury Duty
- Military Leave
- Organ/Bone Marrow Donor Leave
- Parental Leave
- Shared Benefits
- Sick Leave
If supervisory approval has been granted, an employee may substitute accrued vacation or personal leave for these unpaid leaves. If your State benefits coverage was terminated for non-payment of premiums, view Returning from Leave for information on restoring employee coverage and the steps you must take to reactivate any dependent coverage.
- Civil Air Patrol Leave
- Election Judge Leave
- Family and Medical Leave (FMLA)
- Family Medical Leave (UFML) for Civil Union Partners
- Family Military Leave
- Military Leave
- Pregnancy Leave
- School Conference and Activity Leave
- Special Leave for Civil Service Employees
- Victims Economic Security and Safety Leave (VESSA)
Other Types of Leaves
- Nursing Mothers in the Workplace
- Volunteer Emergency Worker Job Protection
- Voting - General or Special Election
- Voting - Primary Election
UIS Leave contact
Office of Human Resources
University Payroll and Benefits (UPB)
One University Plaza, BSB 85
Springfield, IL 62703