Student Appointments – Undergraduate and Grad Hourly

All students must be registered for a minimum of six (6) credit hours to be eligible for student employment during the Fall and Spring semesters and three (3) credit hours in the summer. Lacking such enrollment during the Summer semester, an applicant may be considered student staff if they were enrolled for six (6) or more credit hours during the spring semester immediately preceding the Summer semester, or if they are registered for the fall semester immediately following the summer. Domestic students that graduate in the spring semester are eligible to work during the summer as long as they met all the requirements for student employment during the spring semester.  These students are permitted to work until the Friday before the start date of the Fall semester. International students are not permitted to work beyond their graduating date.

Citizens and permanent residents are permitted to work up to 25 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters while classes are in session, including finals week. International students are permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters while classes are in session, including finals week. All students may work up to 37.5 hours per week during any week there are no classes or exams.

To work as a student employee, your first step is to visit CareerConnect (powered by Handshake). Current UIS students have been automatically registered for UIS CareerConnect.

UIS Students Registered for Classes – To login to UIS CareerConnect (powered by Handshake), enter your netID (your UIS email without the portion) as your username. If this is the first time you have logged in to UIS CareerConnect, use the 'Need Password' button to have your password generated and sent to your UIS email address.

*Any student who has submitted a “Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information” form with Records and Registration has not been registered for UIS CareerConnect (powered by Handshake). These students will need to manually register for UIS CareerConnect (powered by Handshake) using the form on the CareerConnect homepage.

For help with writing a resume, please contact UIS Career Development Center at 217-206-6508.

All student employees are required to electronically complete an I-9 form in-person at the Office of Human Resources before they can begin working.  In order to complete the I-9, you will need original, unaltered documents from this list of Acceptable I-9 documents.  We are unable to accept photocopies.

Once your I-9 has been completed, your approved employment checklist or grad hourly application will be sent back to your hiring department.  Your department will initiate a New Hire and you will receive an email to your UIS email from that contains specific instructions on how to log into the UI New Hire system. Please complete these within 3 days so that your position can be activated in Banner.

Undergraduate Hourly


The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program is a form of financial aid that allows you to earn money to pay for a portion of your educational expenses. FWS is awarded to undergraduates with the highest financial need after their eligibility for grants and need-based scholarships has been considered. The program encourages both community service work and work related to your course of study. FWS is one of the few types of financial aid awarded by the Office of Financial Assistance that does not credit directly to your university account. Rather, you must work to earn the amount of FWS for which you may be eligible and the wages are paid directly to you in the form of a pay check. The salary for FWS positions is the prevailing federal/state minimum wage, which is currently $14 and will increase to $15 per hour January 1, 2025.

If your Financial Aid Offer Notification includes a FWS award, you are eligible to apply to positions that require FWS as well as any positions that do not require FWS. You can search open positions on CareerConnect. If you wish to decline your FWS award or reduce your award, (the minimum FWS award is $1,000) and request additional Federal Stafford Loan monies please call or visit the Office of Financial Assistance in UHB 1015. A Financial Aid Advisor will be able to determine if you have additional loan eligibility.

If your Financial Aid Offer Notification did not include a FWS award but you would like to work in a FWS position, please call or visit the Office of Financial Assistance. An advisor will be able to determine your eligibility to receive FWS. If you have been awarded a student loan, your student loan eligibility may be reduced.