The Office of Research & Sponsored Programs – Post-Award on the Springfield campus resides within the Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The office is responsible for a variety of post-award administration functions in support of grants and contracts at the University of Illinois Springfield.
The Post-Award office provides support services to campus units, principal investigators and sponsor agencies to assist with the management of sponsored projects. Staff responsibilities for post-award administration of sponsored projects include award setup, billing, receivables and financial reporting, audit and compliance, and close out and award management.
Principle Investigators work with their Unit’s Business Administrative Assistant on day-to-day financial operations, such as:
- Hiring student workers, including grad hourly (see UIS Financial Assistance office and UIS Career Connect)
- Hiring a Graduate Assistant (Graduate Assistantship Office)
- Purchasing supplies (iBuy)
- Ordering computers (UIS Information Technology) and/or software (UI Webstore)
- Ordering other equipment (UI Purchasing Division)
- Subcontracts or subawards, such as hiring consultants (Sponsored Programs)
- Travel expenses (UI Travel & Expense Management system)
- Monthly budget reports (EDDIE online system)
- Please present suppliers with the University’s sales tax exempt letter to avoid paying sales tax on purchases.
Fraud prevention and awareness
For assistance with pre-award processes such as identifying internal and external funding sources, interpreting sponsor guidelines and requirements, and assistance with proposal development and electronic submission, contact the Office of Research & Sponsored Programs – Pre-Award.
Once an award is received, one or more of these forms may need to be submitted to UIS Research & Sponsored Programs, Post-Award Office.
Job Aid from OBFS on how to establish an Anticipation Fund
Sponsor-Approved No-Cost Extension Request
This form allows PIs to request a no-cost extension of the project period beyond the original end date from the sponsor.
Sample Request for a Sponsor-Approved Budget Revision [rev. 1/22/18]
Use this template to request to revise the budget of a contract or grant agreement between a sponsor and the university.
- OBFS – Grants & Sponsored Projects
- OBFS Policies & Procedures, Section 16: Grants and Research Contracts
OMB Uniform Guidance
Please note that all sponsored projects and awards effective as of December 26, 2014 will be required to meet the requirements of the OMB Uniform Guidance. For further information please follow the link below.
The Uniform Guidance (“UG”) is guidance to federal agencies which consolidates and replaces eight Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circulars. It combines those circulars for Institutions of Higher Education–A-110 (Administrative requirements), A-21 (Cost principles), and A-133 (Audit requirements)–with those companion circulars applying to state and local governments, Indian tribal governments, and non-profits.
For questions relating to post-award forms or policy, please contact:
Director of Research and Sponsored Programs, Post-Award