Resources & Training
To support UIS faculty, staff, and student research, we provide resources, facilities, tools, and training materials. Workshops designed especially for students can be found on the Student Research and Scholarship Support website. Specific topics, such as Human Subjects Research and the Responsible Conduct of Research are also available. In addition, the staff of the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs are available for classroom visits and workshops.
- Training/Grant Writing
- IRB/COCI Resources
- Student Workshops
- 2017-2019 Recorded Workshops
- Application Checklist and Timeline (template for planning and tracking a specific grant application)
- Checklist for Proposal Planning and Review (overview of general elements to plan, budget, and review an external grant application)
- UIS Budget Template_2021 (fringe rate = 52.42%)
Powerful search engine based on your research profile. Provides information on funding resources for research. Accessible only to University of Illinois students, staff & faculty. For full access, create an account by clicking on Sign Up and using your UIS email to connect to our institutional account.
The White House Office of Management and Budget has mandated that all 26 Federal agencies post their competitive grant opportunities here to facilitate ease in locating grants as well as downloading and submitting applications. Managed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the aim of this site is to eventually become the central repository for federal grant information.
To view the latest news and information on the government grant system, follow their blog.
In addition to posting on grants.gov, NSF funding opportunities are available at https://www.nsf.gov/funding/. To apply for an NSF grant, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to help you set up a profile on Research.gov.
National Institutes of Health
In addition to posting on grants.gov, NIH funding opportunities are available at https://www.nih.gov/grants-funding. To apply for an NIH grant, contact email@example.com to help you register with eRA Commons and to use grants.gov Workspace or NIH ASSIST.
Additional offices at UIS can assist with finding funding sources:
- Art, Literature, Music in Symbolism and Decadence organization
- Barber Observatory
- Brookens Library
- Center for Online Learning, Research, and Service [COLRS]
- Center for State Policy and Leadership
- Center for Systems Security and Information Assurance
- Geographic Information Systems Laboratory (GIS)
- Innovate Springfield (iSPI)
- Intelligent Robotics Laboratory
- Residential Simulation Laboratory
- Sangamon Experience
- Survey Research Office
- Therkildsen Field Station at Emiquon
- UIS Field Station at Lake Springfield
UIS subscribes to the powerful Qualtrics survey software. View the ITS website for details.
UIS is part of the University of Illinois Campus Cluster, a massive computing resource.
Conflict of Commitment and Interest
New policy went into effect July 19, 2018.
COCI Policy and training session schedule
Grant Application Workshop
November 28, 2012
Applying to the Undergraduate Student Research fund (video)
Dr. Keenan Dungey
Undergraduate research with humans or animals: the IRB (video)
Dr. Frances Shen
Research, Wings, and Other Things
November 12, 2019
Co-sponsored by the Research Society of UIS, Career Development Center, Office of Internships and Prior Learning
View It and Do It
Student panel on how to prepare for professional presentations
Every semester we sponsor on-campus training workshops through the Faculty Development Resource Office.
UIS held a workshop on scholarly writing on Feb. 21, 2019. A panel of faculty shared tips on publishing books as part of the UIS Authors Festival.
Grant proposals are to be submitted to the UI START myProposals portal. Links and job aids can be found on the START myResearch webpage.
NIH produces a podcast “All About Grants” with regular tips and tricks.
- Finding Funding
Powerpoint slides (grant writing workshop part 1.pdf) and YouTube lecture
2. Tips for Success
Powerpoint slides (grant writing workshop part 2 [pdf] ) and YouTube lecture
3. Application Process
Powerpoint slides ( grant writing workshop part 3 [pdf] ) and YouTube lecture
Competitive Scholarly Research Grant program
UIS held a workshop on Nov. 8, 2019, specifically addressed how to apply to the UIS internal grant program.
Powerpoint slides (CSRG Presentation 2019 [pdf]) and YouTube video (below).
Moy Collaborative Research Fund
At the same workshop on Nov. 8, 2019, directions were provided on how to apply to the Moy SIU-SOM/UIS Collaborative Research Fund.
Powerpoint slides (Moy Presentation 2019 [pdf]) and YouTube video (below).
UIS Campus Presentations on Funding and Proposal Writing
- Proposal and Budget Planning (ppt)
- Strategies for Securing Financial Support for Your Project (ppt)
- Strategies for Securing Financial Support for Your Project with Chemistry Perspective (ppt)
- Strategies for Securing Financial Support for Your Project with Sociology/Anthropology Perspective (ppt)
- Grant Development and Research 10_12 (ppt)