Current UIS students have been automatically registered for UIS CareerConnect. Any student who has submitted a “Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information” form with Records and Registration has not been registered for UIS Career Connect. These students will need to manually register within CareerConnect.
If you are a graduate student who has been selected to fill a student employment position, your position will actually be classified as a graduate hourly job. In order to have your position correctly established in the HR System, and to ensure you are paid, you must complete an Application for Fall/Spring Graduate Hourly Work. This form should be downloaded, and completed by you and your supervisor. Upon completion, it should be submitted to the GA Office in PAC 518.
- Student Employment Procedures (For Students)
- How to use CareerConnect (For Students) (pdf)
- Search Currently Available Jobs (CareerConnect)
- Student Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Federal Work Study (FWS) Program
- Graduate Students – Graduate Hourly Hiring Procedures
Employers – Hiring Procedures / How to Post a Student Employment Job
All departments wishing to hire student employees will no longer be required to complete an RPS form, you will need to register with CareerConnect to post your position.
Using CareerConnect departments will post all student employment positions for at least 3 days and at least 3 candidates must be interviewed before anyone can be hired. This allows everyone an equal opportunity to apply for positions. CareerConnect will collect all resumes for student positions.
- Post a Student Employment/Work Study Job Instructions (doc)
- Undergraduate Student Employment Checklist Form (pdf)
Four Easy Steps for Hiring Undergraduate Students
- Register as an employer in CareerConnect. (Requests reviewed by Financial Assistance)
- After you have received your CareerConnect Logon ID and password, log in to CareerConnect and post your position.
- Sort through the collected résumés and contact the students whom you have selected to interview.
- After you have selected your student(s) to hire, complete an Undergraduate Student Employment Checklist with the student(s) and have them bring it to the Office of Financial Assistance. Once the Checklist is approved, the departmental Front End processor will be notified to Initiate a New Hire or Add a Job (for students currently employed) in Front End.
- During their first week, please assist your new hires with the completion of their forms. Payroll cannot be processed until all new hire forms are completed.
- If you are hiring a student who is currently employed on campus, please contact the other employer(s) and coordinate with them to ensure student does not exceed weekly hour limit.
- Federal regulations require that no student begin working until their I-9 process is completed.
Other Resources for On Campus Employers
Student employment positions are required by state law to pay at least $11.00 per hour beginning January 1, 2021.
The Student Employment Office is located in the Office of Financial Assistance in University Hall, Room 1015. The phone number is (217) 206-6724.
For questions about CareerConnect or Undergraduate Employment, please send an e-mail to Jé Greer at email@example.com.