- You live locally with a parent or legal guardian generally within the 40-mile perimeter detailed below, and will commute to campus. A “legal guardian” has been determined and appointed by a legal jurisdiction as the person responsible to act on behalf of the student requesting exemption in place of parent(s).
- You are married, verified by submittal of a certified copy of marriage certificate.
- You are a single parent with dependent children, verified by submission of a copy of birth certificate(s).
- You are in a previously existing domestic partnership, verified by submittal of multiple documents which detail an established domestic partnership or domicile (multiple documents must be submitted from the list at the bottom of page two of the Domestic Partner Agreement form for verification).
- You are a financially independent student or homeowner living at the address supplied on the exemption form, or have dependent children living with you.
- You have attained your 21st birthday prior to the beginning of the semester in which enrollment at UIS is sought.
- You are a veteran returning from at least one year of active duty service in the armed forces.
- You require, by reason of a documented medical necessity, a housing option which cannot be provided by UIS. Submit a detailed statement and rationale from attending physician, for subsequent review and discussion with requisite UIS health and medical staff.
- Other circumstances and rationale which you believe would impact your ability to live on the University of Illinois Springfield campus.
If any of those situations are applicable to you as a rising sophomore, you may complete the form below to be considered for exemption. If you are an incoming freshman student, you will receive the appropriate link from Admissions for the submission of a Residence Life Housing Exemption Request.
Please do not complete this form if you have submitted a housing application/contract. If you have questions, do not hesitate to contact us!