The Office of Research & Sponsored Programs partners with faculty and staff to identify internal and external funding sources, interpret sponsor guidelines and requirements, and to assist with proposal development and electronic submission.
Please notify ORSP as soon as you decide to submit an application for external funding. Approved campus research policy requires full applications be submitted to our office at least two weeks before external deadlines to allow for processing paperwork, collecting approvals, assuring compliance of the application or contract with funding agency reqs, OBFS Risk Management, and UI legal counsel, uploading documents into online portal, and correcting any errors detected by our office or the online system. Pre-proposal applications without budget requirements will be accepted with a minimum of 4 business days’ notice.
Contact us for assistance with pre-award processes.
Contact Research & Sponsored Programs/Grants Accounting for assistance with post-award processes.
All proposals submitted to external sponsors by UIS faculty, staff and students require internal approval. The process follows these general steps:
- Principal Investigator/Project Director (PI/PD) prepares proposal narrative and budget (with assistance from Pre-award Grants & Contracts or department staff as needed);
- PI/PD submits all proposal documents to unit fiscal officer;
- Fiscal officer (“aggregator”) initiates application on START myProposals. To make this process more efficient, please use MyProposals Checklist before starting the application;
- The PI/PD approves the START myProposals application;
- The START myProposals system will automatically electronically route the proposal for the required approvals (department chair, unit director, dean, executive director…).
- The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, upon receiving the proposal, reviews and approves the proposal and obtains final approval from the Provost;
- Proposal is submitted to sponsor.
Please allow three-to-five business days for routing and approval of proposals.
Direct link to the START myProposals online form (login with your UIS NetID).
If you can’t make it to the training, or need assistance with the new system, staff of the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs are available to work individually with faculty and staff. Please contact us to set up an appointment: email@example.com.