Children of Veterans Tuition Waiver Application
Children of Veterans Tuition Waiver is a four-year (consecutive) tuition waiver at the University of Illinois. If you are awarded the waiver, it will cover your in-state tuition (for undergraduate, graduate, or professional studies) at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign, Chicago, Springfield, or Health Sciences Center).
In addition to benefits, you may qualify for UIS Institutional Scholarships. UIS uses one application form for all institutional scholarships. You are strongly encouraged to complete this form annually. The form becomes available on Dec. 1 and is due by Feb. 15. Information about institutional scholarships and a link to the form can be found on the UIS Cost & Aid Scholarship page. Several of these scholarships are military and/or veteran focused including:
- Walter and Hattie Putnick Memorial Scholarship ($170)
- Joe Wilkins Veterans Scholarship ($1,600)
- Ted Mims Scholarship ($1,200)
- Artisan Business Group (ABG) Graduate Scholarship for Illinois Veterans ($1,500)
UIS Military/Veterans Emergency Grant
UIS cares about its student veterans and military personnel, and we know that on occasion difficult situations arise. The UIS Military/Veterans Emergency Grant was created to help prevent emergencies and unforeseen events from inhibiting student veterans’ academic progress.
The awarding of this grant money is not competitive. Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. The maximum disbursement for this grant is $500, and a student may only receive one award per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30).
- Applicants must be a student veterans, active duty personnel, reservists, or National Guard members.
- Applicants must be enrolled and in good standing at UIS during the semester when the emergency funds are awarded.
- Applicants must have a financial hardship resulting from an emergency or unforeseen event.
- Applicants must have utilized all other eligible aid programs.
- Applicants must be enrolled in direct deposit with UIS at the time of the award.
To apply, please complete the UIS Military/Veterans Emergency Grant Application.
University Student Financial Services and Cashier Operations (USFSCO or Bursar)
Where Financial Assistance is responsible for helping with benefits, scholarships, and student loans, USFSCO is responsible for collecting payments and managing your account balance. Occasionally veterans’ benefits are not disbursed to student accounts on a timeline that matches the USFSCO payment deadlines. In instances where a student has completed the benefits process and UIS has certified the benefits, but the benefit payment has not been disbursed to UIS, USFSCO, Financial Assistance, and UIS Office of Veterans Affairs will work together to ensure that you are not charged late fees or placed on a financial hold. There are a few key things to remember about your student account:
- Payments are due on September 28th for fall coursework, February 28th for spring coursework, and June 28th for summer coursework
- Make sure to check your UIS email for monthly billing information as the above due dates approach.
- It is your responsibility to manage your account and to reach out to USFSCO prior to payment deadlines to clarify any issues/balances.
- If for some reason you will be unable to make your payment on time, USFSCO can work with you to set up a payment plan.