Business Administration students who choose the Human Resource Management option will develop the critical, conceptual, and interpersonal skills that are essential to employment in management positions of organizations. Students will gain an understanding of all aspects of talent management, including job analysis and design, workforce planning and staffing, compensation and benefits, performance management, career planning and training, and employee and organizational development.
Specific objectives are to enable students to develop:
- Knowledge of HR's strategic role in organizations.
- An understanding of employment law, and its role in HR compliance and labor relations.
- Knowledge of human resource information systems, data analytics and HR metrics.
- Data analytic skills required for informed decision making.
- An understanding of HR's role in workplace health, safety, security and change management.
- The ability to manage a diverse and global workforce.
By the time you graduate, you will have met the following goals and objectives:
- Be able to demonstrate knowledge of key concepts in the major business disciplines -- accounting, economics, management, marketing, finance, information systems, and the legal and social environment of business.
- Be able to systematically analyze a business problem by effectively examining alternatives and recommending an appropriate course of action.
- Be able to communicate effectively in written and oral forms.
- Be able to understand information technology and is use in organizations and decision making.
- Be able to understand, interpret and analyze quantitative problems and quantitatively presented information.
For a complete list of courses and degree requirements, see the Human Resource Management Concentration catalog page.
Possible Career Paths
- Compensation Manager
- Education or Training Manager
- Equal Employment Opportunity Officer
- Human Resource Generalist
- Industrial Relations Manager
- Labor Relations Specialist
- Employee Relation Manager
- HR Analyst
- HRIS Administrator
- Benefits Administrator/Director
- Staffing Specialist
- Worker’s Compensation Administrator