Military and Veteran Students
The Career Development Center offers a wide variety of services and resources to assist military and veteran students in working toward their career goals.
Check out the UIS Department of Military and Veteran Affairs to learn about your educational benefits.
Career counseling offers the convenience of being able to work with a career counselor regardless of your location. We communicate in person and using technology devices such as Zoom, phone and e-mail. Review the career counseling page for all the various career topics we can assist you with!
How to Schedule a Career Counseling Appointment
- Login to UIS CareerConnect (password required).
- Locate Counseling Appt Menu- left side of screen, after logging into UIS CareerConnect.
- Select – Request New Appointment.
- For initial appointment location, choose On campus – SAB 50, Phone, or Zoom or Off campus – Zoom or Phone.
- Complete form and click Submit.
- Look for email confirming appointment.
Document Critique (Career Suite Drop-In)
The Career Center offers open hours for students to connect to get help with their career documents, such as resumes, cover letters, and personal statements.
Career Suite Program – schedule and contact information
Remote Career Fair Participation
How? Register as an “Online Participant”
- Login to UIS CareerConnect (password required).
- Click on the Events tab at the left of your screen.
- Select the appropriate Career Fair (Online Participants) event.
- Click the RSVP button and review the instructions.
Explore Majors (Career Pathfinder & FOCUS 2)
- Explore Career Pathfinder to connect to individual field of studies at UIS.
- Complete FOCUS 2, a self-directed, easy to use, online career planning system, with assessments including areas associated with interests, skills, personality and values.
- Access Focus: link above or login to UIS CareerConnect, select link under Online Toolbox, and use the access code listed to create an account.
Create Documents (OptimalResume)
- Use OptimalResume modules to draft a resume, cover letter, and more.
- Click icon to get started!
- Learn more about OptimalResume and watch video tutorials for assistance using modules and creating documents.
Job, Internship, Program, & Training Resources
- Learn more about CareerConnect system and review student access dates.
- Expand your internship or job search using 2 options:
- Jobs & Internships (left side under Home tab) – Choose Search tab; Fill in Keywords and Location boxes. Click Search. You may choose to use advance filters under boxes to refine search.
- GoinGlobal (under Online Toolbox on right side of homepage) – Choose individual tabs for Jobs, Remote Jobs, and Internships. Fill in Keywords Occupation (optional) and choose Country and City (optional). Click Search icon. There is also an Advance Search option. Learn more about Finding Jobs and user guides for GoinGlobal.
Military & Veteran State Programs & Training Services
To see what the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is doing to support veterans and their families during the COVID-19 pandemic, visit their website. From what you should do to how to protect yourself, learn about what the VA is doing to help our veterans and their communities. Additionally, the VA has information regarding health benefits and financial literacy along with how to access these benefits for veterans.
The following is a brief list of WIOA partners and training services available to our Military Service Members and Spouses:
Illinois Department of Employment Security
- Individualized Career Planning Assistance
- One-on-one assistance provided to Disabled Veterans
- Unemployment Services
- Illinois Job Link
Illinois Department of Human Services
- Family & Community Services
- Mental Health
- Rehabilitation Services
- Substance Abuse
Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity
- Apprenticeships (Employers & Job Seekers)
- Layoffs and Closing Guidance
- Entrepreneurship and small-business guidance
- Invest Illinois Venture Fund
- Veteran’s Priority of Service at American Job Centers
- Veteran Assistance Guide
- Transitioning to Civilian Employment
- Communicating Military Experience and Skills to Employers
- Benefits of Hiring Veterans
- Getting Connected to Benefits & Services for Veterans
- Translate Your Military Skills into Training or a New Career
- How to Apply Military Skills to Civilian Jobs
- How to Tackle a Career Change Head-On
- Preparing and Searching for a Job After the Military
- How Can Illinois JobLink Help You?
- Find Events for Veterans near you
- Additional Helpful Resources
Military & Veteran Federal Programs & Training Services
- CareerOneStop’s Veteran and Military Transition Center
- VA.gov’s Careers and Employment section
- Veterans.gov from the Department of Labor
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program (VR&E)
Find Federal Jobs
- Feds Hire Vets
- Federal Apprenticeships for Veterans
- VA for Vets
- Federal Government Employment steps to apply for a job on USAJOBS, federal government’s jobs portal.
- Veterans’ Preference Advisor offers guidance on veterans’ preference in federal hiring.