The Career Toolbox provides quick access to what you needed to get started on building your career.
Check out our printable “How To” Career Handouts & Guides on a variety of career topics.
- Focus 2
- Career Planning
- Job Links and Resources
- Helpful Calculators
- Additional Tools
Exclusive Career Building Tools provided by the Career Development Center
Focus 2 is a Career Planning system with “Career Tests” to understand who you are as it relates to careers and fields of study:
Focus 2: Sign-In Instructions
- Go to FOCUS 2 Career Login to create your account or login.
- Complete the self-assessment areas: Work Interests, Personality, Values (Required); Skills, & Leisure (Optional).
- Then click “Combine Assessments”.
Why Use FOCUS 2
- Analyze your career and educational goals
- Assess your work interests, leisure interests, skills, personality, and values
- Explore career paths and education programs compatible with your attributes
- Map out your career and educational goals, action plans, and personal development
GoinGlobal: Best resources for H1B info, city/country hiring practices & more
GoinGlobal: Sign-In Instructions
- Go to GoinGlobal
- Start navigating or watch the user training webinars
Why Use GoinGlobal
- Features 39 detailed Country Career Guides
- Contains 50 USA/Canada City Career Guides
- Worldwide job/internship postings and corporate profiles
- H1B database with sorting filters
Career advice videos on topics from interview prep and effective job/internship strategies
CareerSpots: Sign-In Instructions
- Go to the CareerSpots
- Select the relevant career “Channel” on top
- Videos are listed topic to the left
- Click and watch career video
Why Use CareerSpots
- Collection of 70 career advice videos
- Get information in 2-3 minutes
- Hear from recruiters and career experts
- Print off the helpful Tip Sheets
SkillsFirst: Create resumes and cover letter, mock interview & more
SkillsFirst: Sign-In Instructions
First Time to Sign-In:
- Go to SkillsFirst
- Choose "Students click here to join" or "Alumni click here to join"
- Complete information using your UIS email address
Established User Sign-In:
- Login to SkillsFirst
- Enter your UIS email address and unique password
- OptimalResume Users: Sign in with your current OptimalResume email and password and your resumes and letters will automatically be imported to SkillsFirst.
Why Use SkillsFirst
- Create a resume – Use targeted templates, view samples, and read helpful resources
- Draft cover letters – Use samples and templates to compose your application letters
- Practice Interviewing – Simulated interview tool with a coach and recording capabilities
- Produce a Pitch – Record a 30-60 second video introduction of yourself to send to employers or professional contacts
- Track Your Skills – Track skills learned in classes, jobs, internships, and extracurricular activities
- Build Your Portfolio – Upload documents, videos, and projects to share with potential employers
- Get Career Advice – Watch videos and get advice on various career topics. Take a short career assessment.
Career Planning Programs created by Career Center: Click & Go!
- GOALS – Learn about you and your career development process and success strategies
- Career Pathfinders – Connects field of study offered at UIS to skills, job titles, & more
Job Links and Resources
- View our Job Links & Resources page for job boards representing a variety of categories are available for you to search by
- Use UIS CareerConnect to find job and internship opportunities
- Find job titles and job boards targeting your degree located on Career Pathfinders
- Salary.com: Research average salary ranges based on experience, job title and location
- PayCheckCity.com: Find out your take home pay after all the required withholding
Additional Helpful Tools
GlassDoor.com: Get the scoop about companies from their employees
- Login to GlassDoor No Password Needed
- Inside look for over 300,000 company salaries, reviews, and interview questions
- Learn from the employee’s perspective about company culture and values
- Great resources, blogs and job posting site
Career Information System: Career prep and outlook information system by State of Illinois
- Login to Career Information System Username: Illinois Password: careers
- Up-to-date, reliable information to help make important life decisions
- Information on occupations, skills in demand, and job market trends for Illinois and nationally
- Details about programs of study and trainings
- Learn about owning your own business, tips for a successful job search and much more.
O*Net: nation’s primary website source of occupational information sponsored by the US Dept. of Labor
- Browse O*Net groups of similar occupations to explore careers by industry, field of work, & science area
- Focus on occupations that use a specific tool or software. Explore occupations that need your skills
- Utilize crosswalks to search for specific educational, career, and training pathways
Career One Stop: The “Pathway to Career Success” website sponsored by the US Dept. of Labor
- Visit Career One Stop to gather reliable information
- Offers a wide range of career, projected salaries and education information
- Find out what jobs and skills that are in demand and where
City Town Info: Information and analysis on US places, careers, colleges, and more
- Find details on hundreds of careers, including salary data by occupation and city
- Career videos and career stories from people currently on the job
- Profiles on 20,000+ communities including demographics, climate, neighborhoods, and economic forecast
If having trouble using or accessing the tools, contact the Career Development Center for assistance.