The Career Development Center offers a wide variety of services and resources to assist online students in working toward their career goals.
Distance Career Counseling
Distance career counseling offers the convenience of being able to work with a career counselor regardless of your location. We communicate using technology devices such as Zoom, phone, and e-mail. Review the career counseling page for all the various career topics we can assist you with!
How to Schedule a Distance Career Counseling Appointment
- Login to UIS CareerConnect (password required).
- Locate Counseling Appt Menu- left side of screen, after logging into UIS CareerConnect.
- Select – Request New Appointment.
- For initial appointment location, choose On campus – SAB 50, Phone, or Zoom or Off campus – Zoom or Phone.
- Complete form and click Submit.
- Look for email confirming appointment.
Distance Document Critique (Career Suite Drop-In/Call-In Hours)
The Career Center offers open hours for students to come or call in to get help with their career documents, such as resumes, cover letters, and personal statements.
Career Suite Program – schedule and contact information
Remote Career Fair Participation
- A spreadsheet of registered recruiter contacts who opted in will be available on the Recruiters Attending webpage the day of the Career Expo, March 31st through April 4th. Any postdate inquiries can be directed to email@example.com
- Remote participants can create broadcast/inquiry message and connect to recruiters of interest.
- UIS students – create and utilize templates under OptimalResume Letter Builder and Resume Builder modules.
Explore Majors (Career Pathfinder & FOCUS 2)
- Explore Career Pathfinder to connect to individual field of studies at UIS.
- Complete FOCUS 2, a self-directed, easy to use, online career planning system, with assessments including areas associated with interests, skills, personality and values.
- Access Focus 2: link above or login to UIS CareerConnect, select link under Online Toolbox, and use the access code listed to create an account.
Create Documents (OptimalResume)
- Use OptimalResume modules to draft a resume and cover letter.
- Learn more about OptimalResume and watch video tutorials for assistance using modules and creating documents.
Job & Internship Search (CareerConnect)
- Learn more about CareerConnect system and review student access dates.
- Expand your internship or job search using 3 options in CareerConnect:
- Career Development Center Postings (under blue Search for Jobs & Openings tab) – Choose Advanced Search tab; Position Type – highlight appropriate internships(s). Click Search.
- National Postings NACElink (under blue Search for Jobs & Openings tab) – Where box – enter location of choice; and What box – add keyword(s) like internship, accounting, etc. Click Search icon.
- Going Global (under Online Toolbox on right side of homepage) – Choose Job Postings and Internship Listings tab; enter Location. Skills and Keywords – type keyword. Choose Job Type (includes internships.). Click Search icon.