The Career Development Center offers a wide variety of services and resources to assist online students in working toward their career goals.
Distance Career Counseling
Distance career counseling offers the convenience of being able to work with a career counselor regardless of your location. We communicate using technology devices such as Zoom, phone, and e-mail. Review the career counseling page for all the various career topics we can assist you with!
How to Schedule a Distance Career Counseling Appointment
- Login to UIS CareerConnect (password required)
- Select Career Center in the upper-right corner of your screen or below the banner image on your homepage
- Select Appointments from your Career Center's page, located below UIS name
- Select the Schedule a New Appointment button in the upper-left of the page
- Choose the appropriate Department
- Career Development
- Office of Engaged Learning, or
- Student Employment (if approved)
- Use the Category, Type, Staff Member, and Appointment Medium menus to change selections and choose from available appointment options
- Select the date to display the available times, then click on a time that works for you from the list that appears under the date
- Type a message of what you want help with
- Choose Request button to submit an appointment
- Look for an email confirming appointment in your UIS webmail
Alumni, if you have not yet met with a career counselor, call our office at (217) 206-6508. We’ll assign you a counselor based on your needs and current goals. Then, you can schedule your appointment in UIS CareerConnect.
Distance Document Critique (Career Suite Drop-In/Call-In Hours)
The Career Center offers open hours for students to come or call in to get help with their career documents, such as resumes, cover letters, and personal statements.
Career Suite Program – schedule and contact information
Remote Career Fair Participation
- Login to UIS CareerConnect (password required).
- Click on the Events tab at the left of your screen.
- Select the appropriate Career Fair (Online Participants) event.
- Click the RSVP button and review the instructions.
- Remote participants can create broadcast/inquiry message and connect to recruiters of interest.
- UIS students – create and utilize templates under SkillsFirst Letter Builder and Resume Builder modules.
Explore Majors (Career Pathfinder & FOCUS 2)
- Explore Career Pathfinder to connect to individual field of studies at UIS.
- Complete FOCUS 2, a self-directed, easy to use, online career planning system, with assessments including areas associated with interests, skills, personality and values.
- Access Focus 2: use your UIS webmail to create an account.
Create Documents (Skillsfirst)
- Use SkillsFirst modules to draft a resume and cover letter.
- Learn more about SkillsFirst once logged in by using the black "Support" tab on homepage to view training tutorials.
Job & Internship Search (CareerConnect)
- Learn more about CareerConnect system and review student access dates.