- Faculty initiate NIA forms for the coming academic year (fall and spring semesters) according to college deadlines, for all activities other than assigned teaching responsibilities.
- ALL PROPOSED NIAs for the coming academic year – including those referenced in contracts/offer letters and through the CBA, with descriptive plan and specific goals, must be completed and submitted by current faculty members, acted upon by the Department Chair/Head or School Director, and routed to the Dean for consideration.
- All Dean-approved NIA requests must be routed to the Provost for review and decision no later than July 1 for current faculty, and September 1 for new faculty.
- No NIAs may be placed on the schedule unless/until approved.
- NIA Report links will be sent to all faculty with approved NIAs on December 1 for fall NIAs (electronic reports due by January 15) and May 1 for spring NIAs (electronic reports due by June 1). Note: Department Chair/Head/School Director Reports are made directly to the Dean. Reports are not required for Dissertation/Master’s Closure NIAs. Faculty with these NIA types will not receive a report link.
Questions regarding the NIA process may be directed to Monica Kroft, email@example.com
Questions regarding NIA details should be directed to the Dean’s Office.
NIA Types and Examples
Use the accordion menu below to view the list of Non-Instructional Assignment types and sub-categories that may be selected on the current UIS NIA Request Form. If you are uncertain of which NIA Type would be most appropriate for your assignment, please contact Monica Kroft
- Department Head
- Department Chair
- School Director
- Academic Program Director: Select this option if you will be directing an academic degree program, such as Theatre or Public Administration (as opposed to an entire academic department or school)
- Other (please describe): Select this option for activities such as Speech & Debate Coach, GIS Lab Director, Pre-Law Center Director, Remedial Math Coordinator, Writing Program Director.
Curriculum/Program Development or Review
- Accreditation Cycle/Self-Study
- Curriculum Development/Assessment
- Program Development
- Program Review
- Other (please describe)
Dissertation/Master’s Closure Chair
- Dissertation Chair: Provide student name and academic program
- Master’s Closure (Thesis/Project) Chair: List names of students whose Master’s thesis/project committee you chaired
- Other (describe)
- New faculty research NIA: Select this option if you are a first-year faculty member granted an NIA to develop your research agenda
- Post-Tenure Review research NIA: Select this option if your request is a result of a recommendation by your PTR Committee
- Department/College-sponsored research: Select this option for scholarly enhancement grants and other department- or college-sponsored research
- Grant-sponsored research: Select this option for externally-funded research
- Other (describe)
- UIS Service: Select this option for internal UIS service, and list committee/council name and your role; e.g., Campus Senate Chair, Faculty Athletic Representative)
- Public Service: Select this option if your expertise and/or other UIS resources are being deployed to benefit an external community, and identify the public/community population served and your role. Includes activities such as professional journal editing and community health education.