• National Guard Grant
  • Montgomery GI Bill
  • Illinois Vet Grants
  • MIA - POW
  • Vocational Rehab
  • National Guard Grant (NG)

    How to apply:

    To apply for a National Guard Grant Scholarship, the applicant must be on active duty status and have served for at least one year in the Illinois National Guard. Enlisted persons currently serving and company grade officers are eligible. Time served in other branches of the U.S. Armed forces does not count toward this requirement. The application can be obtained from the ISAC website and from your unit. You may also obtain this form in the Office of Financial Assistance. The applicant must apply to the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) for these educational benefits and must supply all requested information. In order to receive benefits, your application must be submitted by the deadline dates listed below. Applications are renewed each academic year, which begins with the fall term and concludes the following summer term. No payments will be made on behalf of any eligible student unless a current application is on file. Listed are the deadline dates for submission of the application for the National Guard Grant program:

    • Fall semester: October 1
    • Spring semester: March 1
    • Summer semester: June 15

    How are you selected?

    After the application is processed and one year of duty is verified by the Illinois Department of Military Affairs, an eligibility letter is sent to the applicant. The applicant will be required to submit the eligibility letter to the Office of Financial Assistance, along with a Request for Benefits Form (pdf) after registering for classes. The Request for Benefits Form can also be picked up in the Office of Financial Assistance located in UHB 1015.

    How is the amount of the award determined?

    A grant recipient is entitled to receive tuition and activity fees for any number of hours enrolled. Credit hours are converted to eligibility units with a maximum usage of 96 units. This grant can be used for both undergraduate or graduate enrollment. There is no minimum enrollment requirement, and benefits are applicable to noncredit courses.

    Concurrent Enrollment:

    Payments are made to only one institution per term. If the applicant enrolls at a second institution for the same term, he/or she must arrange for payment through the college of record. However, the college of record is not required to bill ISAC for charges incurred at another institution. The University of Illinois at Springfield will submit payment information to ISAC for you.

    Additional Information:

    You can be enrolled in both the NG and Ch 1606 programs at the same time. Also, you may be enrolled in NG and Ch 30 benefits if you served on active duty prior to enlisting in the National Guard. The applicant must notify ISAC in writing of name, address, or college choice as they occur. All college changes must be received by ISAC before the deadline dates to be effective for the appropriate term (s). Allow four weeks for the processing of your application. If no response has been received after four weeks, contact ISAC at 1-800-899-4722, extension 0. Mail completed application to:

    • D-3A, Illinois National Guard Grant Processing Illinois Student Assistance Commission 1755 Lake Cook Road Deerfield, Il 60015-5209
  • Montgomery “G.I. Bill” Education Benefits (Ch 30) (Ch 1606) (Ch 1607)

    GI Bill Comparison Tool: Use this link to help you find a school and determine your GI Bill benefits while attending.

    How to apply: To start your (Ch30) benefits, students must complete the VA Website. After completing and submitting the VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Educational Benefits) online, please print and provide a copy of the form to the Office of Financial Assistance along with the Member-4-copy (showing the character of service) of your DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) for each enlistment period. If you have used your Ch 30 benefits at another school in Illinois and you are planning to attend UIS, then you will need to login to the VA Website and complete DA Form 1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training). Along with submitting a copy of your 1990 and/or a copy of your 1995, you also need to complete a Request for Benefits Form (pdf) for the semester you are registering for. Please submit all of this documentation to the Office of Financial Assistance located in UHB 1015. Our hours of operation are from 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. You can contact us by phone at (217) 206-6724.

    What determines eligibility?

    If the student has served in the active military services and is applying for Ch 30 benefits, the DD-214 must indicate that the student participated in the program (paid $100 per month for 12 months) and that the student received an honorable discharge. If the student served in the active military services and is applying for Chapter 32 (Post-Vietnam Era Education Assistance program), they must have paid into the program while on active duty.

    How are the recipients selected?

    These benefits are only available to personnel who served on active duty for training other than Chapter 30 or 32. If you received your basic training in the National Guard or Selected Reserves, you will be considered for Chapter 1606 benefits. Chapter 1606 benefits are given to people who have never served active duty, but are currently assigned to a Reserve or National Guard Unit with a 6 year commitment to this service. Chapter 1606 benefits are initiated the same way as Chapter 30, and they continue in the same manner. See your unit educational officer for further detail and obtain forms that are required.

    How is the amount of the award determined?

    Chapter 30 benefits have a base amount for two years of service, or for three or more years of service. Information on monetary amounts can be obtained from the Veterans Certifying Official located in the Office of Financial Assistance or at the bottom of this page. In addition, some individuals may have bonuses or “kickers” which will increase the amount they receive each month. The bonus is determined at the time the member enters the service. Chapter 32 recipients will receive three times what they paid in divided over 36 months. Chapter 1606 benefits have a base amount, but certain units now receive “kickers”. The student needs to check with their unit education officer to see if they qualify for a “kicker”.

    How and when are the funds paid out?

    The applications are submitted to the regional Department of Veterans Affairs in St. Louis. It may take 4 to 6 weeks before receiving a response. It is imperative that you get these forms completed before the first semester of attendance and finalize your registration in order to prevent delay of your benefits. Students can apply for advance pay if the application is submitted more than 30 days prior to the beginning of the first semester of attendance. Before benefits begin, a Chapter 30 student will receive a verification of attendance form that must be signed and returned to St. Louis prior to receiving the monthly check. Please visit the Office of Financial Assistance if you have any further questions.

  • Illinois Veterans Grants (IVG)

    How to apply:

    To obtain your Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG) award, you must complete an application through the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC). The application can be downloaded from the site or may be obtained from the Office of Financial Assistance (UHB 1015). Once ISAC has processed the application, they will mail an award letter to the student certifying the amount of eligibility. This award letter must be submitted to the Office of Financial Assistance. What Determines Eligibility The student must have served in the active military service for at least one year unless discharged for medical reasons. All discharges must be honorable. The student must have resided in Illinois within six months before entering the service and return to Illinois within six months of leaving the service. The student must be residing in Illinois and attending an Illinois supported school. Students who have had at least one discharge, but are still on active duty, can attend an Illinois-based school at out-of-state and overseas locations.

    How do you receive confirmation of your award?

    Along with sending your application, you should attach a Member-4 copy of your DD-214. The Illinois Student Assistance Commission will review the application and make a determination of your eligibility. If there are any circumstances that need to be explained, the Commission will contact you to receive further information.

    How and when are funds paid out?

    IVG recipients do not receive a cash award. The award you receive will pay your tuition, mandatory fees and student health insurance costs based upon your dependency status. The IVG Award will grant you 120 points at the beginning of use. Each point will be based on the number of credits hours in which you enroll during the semester. The only exception is that if you register for 8 hours, you will use 6 points, and if you enroll for 10 to 11 credits you will only use 9 points. Any amount over 12 credits hours will be counted as 12 points. You must complete the Request for Veteran Program Benefits (pdf) form each semester, but not later than the last scheduled day of classes in the term for which a grant is requested. Please contact the Office of Financial Assistance if you have additional questions.

    Additional Information:

    This award can be used for both undergraduate and graduate work. The points will remain on your record and can be used anytime during your educational career. This award can be used in conjunction with the Veteran’s Chapter 30 program, but not with any other state programs. Talk with the Veterans Official at the Office of Financial Assistance for further information on this award.

  • MIA/POW (Ch 35)

    How to apply:

    There are two programs in this category for which you can apply with the State of Illinois. One is the State of Illinois MIA/POW Grant offered to anyone who meets the eligibility standards under this program. There is also the Dependents Educational Assistance program (Chapter 35 of title 38, U.S. Code) which was enacted by Congress to provide education and training opportunities to eligible dependents and survivors of certain veterans. The first program is a state program and the second is a federal program. You can obtain most of the information you will need at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs site.

    Are you eligible?

    Each program provides financial aid for the education of a dependent or surviving son, daughter or spouse of a veteran who dies of, or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of, service-connected disability. The disability must be the result of active service in the Armed Forces. There are more eligibility requirements, and they can be found on the above web site.

    How long are you eligible?

    To receive benefits under the Ch 35 federal program for attending school or job training under the program, you must be between the ages of 18 and 26. In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. Marriage of a child does not bar him/her from receiving this benefit; however, an eligible child may not receive benefits while on active duty in the Armed Forces. To pursue training after military service, your discharge must be under honorable conditions. The VA can extend your period of eligibility by the number of months and days equal to the time spent on active duty. This extension cannot go beyond your 31st birthday. To receive benefits under the State MIA/POW program you can be a spouse, natural child, legally adopted child, or any step child of a veteran or service person who has been declared by the U.S. Department of Defense or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to have been a prisoner of war, missing-in-action, or to be 100% disabled and who, at the time of entering the service was an Illinois resident or was an Illinois resident 6 months prior to entering the service. Further information can be found by contacting Department of Veterans, 833 S. Spring Street, Springfield, Il 62794, Ph: 217-782-6645.

    How are recipients selected?

    The Department of Veteran’s Affairs, State of Illinois will determine your qualification for state MIA/POW benefits, but the federal program will be determined by the Regional Office in St. Louis.

    How and when are funds paid out?

    State MIA/POW recipients do not receive a cash award. Your tuition, activity fee, and athletic fee will be paid by the State of Illinois. Upon verification of eligibility, the applicant will be issued an I.D. Card. The I.D. card shall be used to substantiate the dependent’s eligibility. The Ch 35 program will determine the amount of payment according to the number of credit hours you are taking. The Veterans Office in St. Louis will issue a C-Number that will be used when registering for benefits. It is beneficial that you file prior to the start of the semester. Also, you must complete and submit a Request for Benefits Form (pdf) to the Office of Financial Assistance located in UHB 1015 for the semester you are enrolling for.

    Additional Information:

    The state MIA/POW award can be used in unison with your federal Ch.35 benefits.

  • Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Ch31)

    How to apply:

    Applying for Ch 31 requires that the veteran make contact with the nearest veterans office in Illinois. You can also use the website U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and apply directly over the internet. Your local veterans office would be your first contact to obtain further information on applying for this benefit.

    What determines eligibility?

    If a veteran has a service-connected disability of 10 percent or more which is, or except for the receipt of retired pay would be, compensable under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 31. This disability must have been incurred or aggravated in service on or after September 16, 1940. A veteran having basic entitlement may be provided a program of rehabilitative services during the twelve-year period following his/her discharge. The beginning date of the twelve-year period is the day of the veteran’s discharge or release from his or her last period of active military, naval, or air service. The ending date is typically twelve years from the discharge or release date. There are other determinations of eligibility and they can be obtained at the website U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. There is also information on eligibility that can be found in the Veterans Office located in the Office of Financial Assistance.

    How are the recipients selected?

    The purpose of this program is to provide educational and vocational training services to a veteran eligible for, and entitled to, services and assistance under Chapter 31. Veterans entering the rehabilitation program will elect to forego any other benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs, and will be evaluated by a representative from the Veterans department. Generally, the VA will select courses of study and training, the completion of which usually results in a diploma, certificate, degree, or employment. If such courses are not available in the area in which the veteran resides, or if they are available but not accessible to the veteran, other arrangements may be made. If you meet the requirements to attend the University of Illinois at Springfield, then you will be processed by the veterans case worker who will arrange for payments of the courses and provide the paper work for payment of subsistence allowances. The case worker will not be assigned until you complete your processing with the Department of Veterans Affairs.

    Important information:

    It is very important that you contact your local veterans office to obtain the form needed to begin your process into this program. They are not the approving authority, but they will assist you in filling out Form 28-1900, Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation. They will also give you direction on where to send these forms. This form and instructions can be downloaded at the above web site.