Beyond the Classroom
Beyond the Classroom is an exciting new program created by the UIS Career Development Center. Beyond the Classroom connects UIS students with Alumni and Employers in real-world career settings. Through job shadowing, informational interviewing, internships/externships, and career immersions, students receive glimpses into their future career paths, experience to include on their resume, and unique networking opportunities! Students will work with the their career counselor who will serve as a resource to guide them, with the goal of the student independently creating their own Beyond the Classroom experiences in the future!
Career Immersions are “career field-trips,” which connect students with employers in the employer’s real-world work setting! Students receive a “behind the scenes” look at organizations and the variety of careers that exist within them!
Learn More about Immersions
For more information and/or to schedule a Career Immersion, contact us at (217) 206-6508 or via email.
As part of the “Beyond the Classroom” Program, an externship provides students with a short-term, internship-like experience which allows employers the opportunity to scout out UIS talent. Conduct Mock Interviews
As part of the “Beyond the Classroom” Program, job shadowing is a great way for students to explore their career options. Typically, a job shadowing experience lasts one full day (8:30-5:00) but can range depending on the flexibility of the host employer and the student/alumni.
Informational Interviews by Students
Informational interviews allow students to interview you, the employer! Students may ask questions about what steps you took to get into the career you are in, industry trends, ways to get their “foot in the door”, and other questions that will give them a realistic perception of interested careers
How Employers can Participate
- Host job shadowing experiences for UIS students interested in your career path and industry! (Typically, a job shadowing experience lasts one full day (8:30-5:00) but can range depending on the flexibility of the host employer and the student).
- Allow students to ask you questions about your employer and career path through informational interviewing! (An informational interview is typically a one-time experience, lasting around an hour).
- Host UIS students as interns/externs within your organization!
- Host a Career Immersion at your organization to get your employees and UIS students engaged with one another through networking!
Benefits for Employers
- Give back to the University!
- Interact and network with exceptional UIS students!
- Build relationships with UIS students prior to graduation!
- Enhance your recruitment efforts!
Are you interested in the Beyond the Classroom Program?
Heres how to get started:
- Register and/or log in to UIS CareerConnect today and fill out the Professional Network Profile under the Account tab!
- Questions? Please contact the Employer Relations Coordinator by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (217) 206-6508.
Are you interested in recruiting UIS Students and Alumni for other career opportunities?