The University has one petition form that you should use of all of your petition requests.
- To waive the required course in the concentration use the Exception – Program Requirements option. You must have earned a B or better in the course and it has to have been taken in the past six years. You must attach a course syllabus to this petition. This petition only waives having to take the course again here, it does not waive the credit hours. In the rationale area give the original course prefix, number and title, where you took the course, which semester, the credit hours, the grade you earned, and which UIS Psychology course you are petitioning to waive. NOTE: Students who took Educational Psychology, Life-Span Developmental Psychology, or Abnormal Psychology at Lincoln Land CC do not need to submit a syllabus with this petition. All other requirements apply.
- Psychology majors & minors who complete CRJ 345: Research Methods in Criminal Justice with a grade of C or better may use that course to waive the PSY 302: Research Methods in Psychology requirement of the major or minor. This waiver does not reduce the number of hours needed for the Psychology major or minor. Students are still required to complete 36 hours of upper-level coursework for the major and 16 for the minor.
- To use lower division courses for upper division credit use the Request for Upper Division Credit option. This is for students who first enrolled in UIS prior to the fall 2012 semester. You are allowed to designate up to 12 hours of lower division coursework as upper division coursework. You may not use more than 72 hours of lower division coursework toward the 120 credit hours needed to graduate. These lower division hours can only be counted toward upper division General Electives at UIS. You must have earned a C or better in the course. In the rationale area of your petition give the original course prefix, number and title as they were designated by the institution where you took the course, where you took the course, which semester, the credit hours, and the grade you earned. You may include multiple courses on the same petition.
- To transfer upper division psychology credit use the Transfer Credit Acceptance option. This is for students who have taken upper division psychology hours at another institution and want to have them count as their upper division psychology credit here. You must have earned a C or better in the course and it has to have been taken in the last 6 years. You must attach a course syllabus to this petition. You can transfer in up to 20 upper division psychology credit hours. In the rationale area give the original course prefix, number and title, where you took the course, which semester, the credit hours, and the grade you earned. You may include multiple courses on the same petition.
- To request an overload use the Overload Hours option. The departmental policy is to consider granting overloads for students who have an institutional GPA of 3.3 or higher. Meeting this GPA requirement does not mean that your request will automatically be approved at the departmental level, but it does mean that if you do not meet this requirement your request will be denied. You should meet with the Department’s professional academic advisor to discuss your overload. Summer overloads will not be granted, regardless of GPA.