Illinois Veterans Grants (IVG)

How to Apply

To obtain your Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG) award, you must complete an application through the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC). The application can be downloaded through the ISAC website or may be obtained from the Office of Financial Assistance (UHB 1015). Once ISAC has processed the application, they will mail an award letter to the student certifying the amount of eligibility. This award letter must be submitted to the Office of Financial Assistance.

What Determines Eligibility

The student must have served in the active military service for at least one year unless discharged for medical reasons. All discharges must be honorable. The student must have resided in Illinois within six months before entering the service and return to Illinois within six months of leaving the service. The student must be residing in Illinois and attending an Illinois supported school. Students who have had at least one discharge, but are still on active duty, can attend an Illinois-based school at out-of-state and overseas locations.

How do you receive confirmation of your award?

Along with sending your application, you should attach a Member-4 copy of your DD-214. The Illinois Student Assistance Commission will review the application and make a determination of your eligibility. If there are any circumstances that need to be explained, the Commission will contact you to receive further information.

How and when are funds paid out?

IVG recipients do not receive a cash award. The award you receive will pay your tuition, mandatory fees and student health insurance costs based upon your dependency status. The IVG Award will grant you 120 points at the beginning of use. Each point will be based on the number of credits hours in which you enroll during the semester. The only exception is that if you register for 8 hours, you will use 6 points, and if you enroll for 10 to 11 credits you will only use 9 points. Any amount over 12 credits hours will be counted as 12 points. You must complete the Request for Veteran Program Benefits form each semester, but not later than the last scheduled day of classes in the term for which a grant is requested. Please contact the Office of Financial Assistance if you have additional questions.

Additional Information:

This award can be used for both undergraduate and graduate work. The points will remain on your record and can be used anytime during your educational career. This award can be used in conjunction with the Veteran's Chapter 30 program, but not with any other state programs. Talk with the Veterans Official at the Office of Financial Assistance for further information on this award.

tuition and mandatory fees
before the end of the aid year
Grant Source