• Teach Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant: The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) grant is a new federally funded program beginning with the 2008-2009 academic year. Students who plan to begin a career in teaching may qualify for up to $4,000 each year, based on meeting program conditions. In exchange for this grant, a student must sign an Agreement to Serve (ATS) as a full-time teacher at certain low-income schools and within certain high-need fields for at least four academic years within eight years after completing (or ceasing enrollment) the course of study for which the candidate received the grant. Failure or refusal to carry out the obligations of this program will convert the grant(s) into a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan(s) with interest dated back to the time of disbursement.

State Aid Programs

Illinois Student Assistance Commission

  • State of Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP): The Monetary Award Program (MAP), a grant funded by the state of Illinois, provides need-based grants for undergraduate students pursuing their first baccalaureate degree to help pay for tuition and mandatory fees. Independent students must be Illinois residents and parents of dependent students must be Illinois residents who are enrolled at least half time in a degree or certificate program.
  • Silas Purnell Illinois Incentive for Access (IIA) Program: The Illinois Incentive for Access (IIA) award, a grant funded by the state of Illinois, provides need-based grants for freshmen undergraduate students with a $0 Expected Family Contribution (EFC) pursuing their first baccalaureate degree to help pay for educational costs. Independent students must be Illinois residents and parents of dependent students must be Illinois residents who are enrolled at least half time in a degree or certificate program. Program is subject to state appropriations and has not been funded in recent years.

National Guard Grant

How to Apply

To apply for a National Guard Grant Scholarship, the applicant must be on active duty status and have served for at least one year in the Illinois National Guard. Enlisted persons currently serving and company grade officers are eligible. Time served in other branches of the U.S. Armed forces does not count toward this requirement. The application can be obtained from the ISAC website and from your unit. You may also obtain this form in the Office of Financial Assistance. The applicant must apply to the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) for these educational benefits and must supply all requested information. In order to receive benefits, your application must be submitted by the deadline dates listed below. Applications are renewed each academic year, which begins with the fall term and concludes the following summer term. No payments will be made on behalf of any eligible student unless a current application is on file. Listed are the deadline dates for submission of the application for the National Guard Grant program:

  • Fall semester: October 1
  • Spring semester: March 1
  • Summer semester: June 15

How are you selected?

After the application is processed and one year of duty is verified by the Illinois Department of Military Affairs, an eligibility letter is sent to the applicant. The applicant will be required to submit the eligibility letter to the Office of Financial Assistance, along with a Request for Benefits Form (pdf) after registering for classes. The Request for Benefits Form can also be picked up in the Office of Financial Assistance located in UHB 1015.

How is the amount of the award determined?

A grant recipient is entitled to receive tuition and activity fees for any number of hours enrolled. Credit hours are converted to eligibility units with a maximum usage of 96 units. This grant can be used for both undergraduate or graduate enrollment. There is no minimum enrollment requirement, and benefits are applicable to noncredit courses.

Concurrent Enrollment:

Payments are made to only one institution per term. If the applicant enrolls at a second institution for the same term, he/or she must arrange for payment through the college of record. However, the college of record is not required to bill ISAC for charges incurred at another institution.

Additional Information:

You can be enrolled in both the NG and Ch 1606 programs at the same time. Also, you may be enrolled in NG and Ch 30 benefits if you served on active duty prior to enlisting in the National Guard. The applicant must notify ISAC in writing of name, address, or college choice as they occur. All college changes must be received by ISAC before the deadline dates to be effective for the appropriate term(s).

Allow four weeks for the processing of your application. If no response has been received after four weeks, contact ISAC at 1-800-899-4722, extension 0. Mail completed application to:

  • D-3A, Illinois National Guard Grant Processing
    Illinois Student Assistance Commission
    1755 Lake Cook Road
    Deerfield, Il 60015-5209

Illinois Veterans Grants (IVG)

How to Apply

To obtain your Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG) award, you must complete an application through the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC). The application can be downloaded through the ISAC website or may be obtained from the Office of Financial Assistance (UHB 1015). Once ISAC has processed the application, they will mail an award letter to the student certifying the amount of eligibility. This award letter must be submitted to the Office of Financial Assistance.

What Determines Eligibility

The student must have served in the active military service for at least one year unless discharged for medical reasons. All discharges must be honorable. The student must have resided in Illinois within six months before entering the service and return to Illinois within six months of leaving the service. The student must be residing in Illinois and attending an Illinois supported school. Students who have had at least one discharge, but are still on active duty, can attend an Illinois-based school at out-of-state and overseas locations.

How do you receive confirmation of your award?

Along with sending your application, you should attach a Member-4 copy of your DD-214. The Illinois Student Assistance Commission will review the application and make a determination of your eligibility. If there are any circumstances that need to be explained, the Commission will contact you to receive further information.

How and when are funds paid out?

IVG recipients do not receive a cash award. The award you receive will pay your tuition, mandatory fees and student health insurance costs based upon your dependency status. The IVG Award will grant you 120 points at the beginning of use. Each point will be based on the number of credits hours in which you enroll during the semester. The only exception is that if you register for 8 hours, you will use 6 points, and if you enroll for 10 to 11 credits you will only use 9 points. Any amount over 12 credits hours will be counted as 12 points. You must complete the Request for Veteran Program Benefits (pdf) form each semester, but not later than the last scheduled day of classes in the term for which a grant is requested. Please contact the Office of Financial Assistance if you have additional questions.

Additional Information:

This award can be used for both undergraduate and graduate work. The points will remain on your record and can be used anytime during your educational career. This award can be used in conjunction with the Veteran's Chapter 30 program, but not with any other state programs. Talk with the Veterans Official at the Office of Financial Assistance for further information on this award.

MIA/POW (Ch 35)

How to apply:

There are two programs in this category for which you can apply with the State of Illinois. One is the State of Illinois MIA/POW Grant offered to anyone who meets the eligibility standards under this program. There is also the Dependents Educational Assistance program (Chapter 35 of title 38, U.S. Code) which was enacted by Congress to provide education and training opportunities to eligible dependents and survivors of certain veterans. The first program is a state program and the second is a federal program. You can obtain most of the information you will need at the Veterans Affairs Education and Training site.

Are you eligible?

Each program provides financial aid for the education of a dependent or surviving son, daughter or spouse of a veteran who dies of, or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of, service-connected disability. The disability must be the result of active service in the Armed Forces. There are more eligibility requirements, and they can be found on the above web site.

How long are you eligible?

To receive benefits under the Ch 35 federal program for attending school or job training under the program, you must be between the ages of 18 and 26. In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. Marriage of a child does not bar him/her from receiving this benefit; however, an eligible child may not receive benefits while on active duty in the Armed Forces. To pursue training after military service, your discharge must be under honorable conditions. The VA can extend your period of eligibility by the number of months and days equal to the time spent on active duty. This extension cannot go beyond your 31st birthday. To receive benefits under the State MIA/POW program you can be a spouse, natural child, legally adopted child, or any step child of a veteran or service person who has been declared by the U.S. Department of Defense or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to have been a prisoner of war, missing-in-action, or to be 100% disabled and who, at the time of entering the service was an Illinois resident or was an Illinois resident 6 months prior to entering the service. Further information can be found by contacting Department of Veterans, 833 S. Spring Street, Springfield, Il 62794, Ph: 217-782-6645.

How are recipients selected?

The Department of Veteran's Affairs, State of Illinois will determine your qualification for state MIA/POW benefits, but the federal program will be determined by the Regional Office in St. Louis.

How and when are funds paid out?

State MIA/POW recipients do not receive a cash award. Your tuition, activity fee, and athletic fee will be paid by the State of Illinois. Upon verification of eligibility, the applicant will be issued an I.D. Card. The I.D. card shall be used to substantiate the dependent's eligibility. The Ch 35 program will determine the amount of payment according to the number of credit hours you are taking. The Veterans Office in St. Louis will issue a C-Number that will be used when registering for benefits. It is beneficial that you file prior to the start of the semester. Also, you must complete and submit a Request for Benefits Form (pdf) to the Office of Financial Assistance located in UHB 1015 for the semester you are enrolling for.

Additional Information:

The state MIA/POW award can be used in unison with your federal Ch.35 benefits.