Prepare for Medical School and Beyond with Chemistry
If you aspire to a career in medicine or other health professions, our B.S. in Chemistry with a Pre-Medical concentration is your ideal pathway. This program is designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills needed to excel in medical school and health-related fields.
Advising for Your Success
When you join us, you'll have access to academic advisors who will guide you every step of the way. Whether you're a first-year student or transferring with over 30 credit hours, our advisors are here to assist you in selecting the right courses and planning your academic journey.
No Separate Admission
To major in Chemistry with a Pre-Med concentration, you don't need to go through a separate admission process. Simply complete a Change of Curriculum form on the Records and Registration website, and you're on your way to becoming a chemistry major.
What You'll Learn
Our program emphasizes critical scientific processes, effective scientific communication, and the integration of chemical knowledge. You'll also develop essential laboratory skills, preparing you for medical and health-related fields.
Graduates of this program are well-prepared for various health-related careers, including:
- Doctor or Surgeon: After completing medical school and necessary residencies, you could become a physician in various specialties such as pediatrics, cardiology, orthopedics, etc.
- Medical Researcher: Use your foundation in biology and chemistry to conduct research, possibly leading to new drugs, treatments, or medical technologies.
- Medical Lab Technician/Technologist: Work in diagnostic laboratories analyzing samples, conducting tests, and aiding in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
- Biotechnologist: Work in pharmaceutical or biomedical companies, focusing on the development of new drugs, therapies, or medical tools.
- Genetic Counselor: Provide information and support to families who have members with genetic disorders or are at risk.
- Public Health Professional: Work in public health sectors, focusing on disease prevention, health promotion, and community health education.
- Pharmacist: After further studies, dispense medications and counsel patients on their proper use.
- Physician Assistant: Work under the supervision of a physician to diagnose and treat patients.
- Medical Sales Representative: Use your knowledge to promote and sell medical equipment, pharmaceuticals, or biotechnological products.
- Medical Writer or Science Journalist: Use your background to write articles, papers, or media releases about medical topics, research, and advancements.
- Healthcare Administrator: Manage hospitals, clinics, or other medical facilities, ensuring their smooth and efficient operation.
- Medical School Professor: Teach the next generation of medical students or pre-medical students.
- Forensic Scientist: Use medical and scientific knowledge to assist law enforcement.
- Epidemiologist: Study disease patterns and outbreaks, and work towards their prevention and control.
- Bioethicist: Examine and address ethical issues related to medicine and biology.
Ready to Take the Next Step
If you're passionate about a career in medicine or health professions and want to start your journey with a solid foundation, reach out to us. We're here to help you thrive in this critical field.
Kickstart your path to medical school and health-related professions with the B.S. in Chemistry and a Pre-Med concentration at UIS. Your future in healthcare begins here, and we're here to support your journey every step of the way.