The vision of the Department of Public Health is to create a safe, healthy, and productive workforce capable of transforming the health of their local and global communities.
What we offer
Our department offers both on-campus and online MPH degree programs.The Department of Public Health offers the following degrees
- Master of Public Health General (offered online and on-campus): An MPH – Generalist (MPH) program with a strong interdisciplinary foundation for practice in public health.
- Master of Public Health – Environmental Health (offered online and on-campus – STEM designated degree):An MPH – Environmental Health (MPH-EH) program within which a student may choose to emphasize preparation in risk assessment, emergency preparedness, or environmental health policy.
- Joint Degrees in Master of Public Health and Master of Public Administration (offered online and on-campus)
- Joint Degrees in Master of Public Health and Health and Human Services. (offered on-campus)
- Graduate Certificates (offered online and on-campus)
- Public Health Minor
- Dr. Dorine Brand and Dr. Egbe Egiebor receive grant to study the use of pesticides in urban and agricultural communities.
Alexandra Scherba, a recent graduate with a double degree in Master of Public Health and Master of Public Administration, was hired at the Sangamon County Department of Public Health. Check out her video describing her experience at UIS!
Faculty within the Department of Public Health are committed to producing world class public health professionals to work in the United States and globally to improve health, prevent disease, reduce health disparities, and enhance quality of life through education, scholarship, and service.
What You Can Do With This Degree
- Public health agencies in federal, state, county, tribal and local governments.
- Health care providers.
- Community response planners.
- Law enforcement administrators.
- Fire departments.
- And people in private industry.
- Careers in Public Health (pdf)