FIRST STEPS FOR NEW STUDENTS
We are pleased to welcome you as a graduate student in the Master of Public Health Program at the University of Illinois Springfield (UIS). Please study MPH Handbook and MPH Internship Manual to get started!
1. Establish your NetID and Password
- You will receive two notification emails from the Office of Admissions - one email with your University Identification Number (UIN) and another email with your activation token. Your UIN will be emailed on your Notice of Acceptance (and included in your admission packet). The activation token is usually sent to you several days after you have completed the Intent to Enroll Form. If you have not received your UIN and activation token, contact Admissions Office at (217) 206‐4847 or (firstname.lastname@example.org). You need your UIN and activation token to create your ID that will grant you access to UIS systems (email, Canvas, registration, etc.).
- Log into your UIS email account. For more information regarding the UIS email system, please visit UIS ITS website - Email. It is important to establish your UIS email account as soon as possible, as it is the primary mode of communication for both the University and the Department of Public Health. If you have tech questions, contact the UIS Technology center by calling (217) 206-6000 or emailing email@example.com.
2. Review curriculum requirements in the UIS Catalog and then contact your faculty advisor for course recommendations
- When initially contacting your faculty advisor, please include your UIN and your admissions letter from the Office of Admissions. When considering your education plan, follow the course rotation schedule and program requirements. Upcoming courses can be viewed in the UIS Dynamic Course Schedule.
- Please remember to consult your faculty advisor prior to registering each semester. Based on the departmental policy, students are not allowed to register until educational plan is approved.
- If you are an international student and have questions about visa and I-20, please contact the Office of International Student Services.
3. Enroll in courses after you have established your NetID/password and get approval from your faculty advisor when your education plan is reviewed
- Check the UIS Records and Registration website for registration information. (Registration for the summer and fall semesters generally begins in April, and registration for the spring semester generally begins in November.) The date and time you are eligible to register are contained in your time ticket. You must have your UIS NetID prior to registering for courses. Please remember that 100% online students should only register for 100% online courses. (Online courses/sections are noted as “Online” in the “Schedule Type” in the course schedule.)
- Questions regarding student records and registration should be directed to the UIS Office of Records and Registration. You can reach the office by phone at (217)206-6174.
- Please view the UIS academic calendar for important semester start and end dates. Textbook information is released when the course schedule is published. Textbooks may be purchased at the UIS Bookstore.
- You can view your student account information on the University Bursar website.