Our Vision and Mission
The Vision of the UIS MPH program is to help create and promote safe, healthy, and productive local and global communities by educating public health professionals capable of transforming the health of their communities and environments.
Our Mission is to produce world class public health professionals to work in the United States and globally to improve health, prevent disease, reduce health disparities, and enhance quality of life through education, scholarship, and service.
Goals: The program’s goals that describe strategies to accomplish the defined mission are as follows:
- Promote student success through a high quality and exceptional pedagogical public health curriculum to produce public health professionals who can think critically, communicate clearly and excel professionally.
- Promote, conduct, and disseminate innovative research that advances public health knowledge to improve health, prevent disease and reduce health disparities.
- Participate in community engagement within Illinois and beyond through service, outreach, and dependable partnerships to enhance quality of life through public health community education, scholarship, and service.
Our Values mirror the UIS system and guide our mission:
- Student-focused Teaching and Learning: We place student development – fostered through meaningful interactions among students, faculty, staff and the community – at the core of all University activities. We also honor innovative teaching and evidence-based scholarship that promote academic excellence and knowledge discovery.
- Civic Engagement: We build meaningful relationship that enable us to both learn from and contribute to our local and global communities. We promote collaboration within the campus and
- Strategic Thinking: We are a proactive learning organization committed to continuous improvement, evidence-based decision-making and innovation.
- Inquiry: We seek to understand the world around us through the mastery of core skills of excellence in evaluation, analysis and expression; through the acquisition of knowledge; and through the pursuit of scholarship that is challenging and significant. We recognize sound public health science. We share and provide access to knowledge and skills.
- Diversity: Hold diversity in high esteem and embrace diversity in ideas, disciplines and people. The Department fosters diversity.
- Integrity: Maintain integrity and exceptional ethical behaviors
- Accountability: We translate intentions into actions via shared governance and fiscal stewardship, holding decision-makers responsible to our students, colleagues and other stakeholders.
Department of Public Health
One University Plaza, MS PAC 350
Springfield, IL 62703-5407
Phone: (217) 206-6720
Fax: (217) 206-7807