The College of Business and Management takes pride in developing an environment of engagement, innovation, and impact both in teaching and scholarly activity. A few highlights of some of the many accomplishments are listed below.
- Approximately 450 undergraduate students completed an internship with a state agency, local business, or Fortune 500 company since the fall of 2012. Also, 165 graduate students from the Accounting, MBA and MIS programs participated in the Graduate Public Sector Internship experience, earning an average of $26,500 while gaining invaluable experiences in the workforce that complemented their coursework.
- The UIS chapter of the Association for Information Systems won awards in the categories of Membership and also Careers in “IS” in 2016.
- Prof. Jorge Villegas has developed a personalized course for students working in an Interprofessional Student Team Hot Spotting Mini-Grant from Camden Coalition of Healthcare Providers, Primary Care Progress, and the Association of American Medical Colleges.
- The BUS program helped students launch the first marketing association in the history of UIS. The Young Professional Marketers association has organized a significant number of events every semester to help our marketing students network with the business community of central Illinois.
- MIS Faculty at UIS and SIU School of medicine are involved in two research projects. One involves a large data set (1.2 million records) of sepsis patients. This project involves a multivariate predictive analysis and modeling of death from sepsis. The second research project is focused on identification of patterns of use of Electronic Health Record Systems in an ambulatory setting.
- The Chair of the Accounting Department founded and sponsors the Student Accounting Society. SAS sponsors a very successful career fair for accounting students and employers every fall and hosts at least one “firm night” each month for employers to come to campus to discuss opportunities for future graduates.
- UIS Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM) earned Superior Merit Award two years in a row (16-17, 17-18) moving up from an Honorable Mention Award the previous year. This chapter provides educational programs annually and has previously placed both 1st and 2nd at State HR Case Competitions.
- The UIS chapter of SAM (Society for the Advancement of Management) took home first place in the Open Division Collegiate Management Case Competition at the SAM National conference in Arlington, Virginia
- Prof. Jorge Villegas has created an experiential learning opportunity leading a group of students in the development of a social marketing campaign funded by the Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility ($15,000).
- Prof. Feng-Shun Bin is a pioneer in two innovative areas of scholarship: stock market reactions to legislative events by the gambling industry in the USA and other nations and StockTrak’s (a portfolio simulation) effect on learning outcomes.
- Prof. Laurel Newman is one of our most active researchers and practitioners in online education in the University of Illinois System. She is the founder and chair of the Community for Practice and Learning for E-Learning (COPE-L), a group of scholars interested in promoting and sharing best practices in online education. Prof. Newman and members of this group were recently recognized with a national award for effective practice from the Online Learning Consortium.
- Prof. Bill Kline has obtained up to $80,000 a year from a grant to fund (1) a postdoc fellow who currently teaches Business, Ethics, and Society; (2) student outreach through the Weekend Exploring Liberty and (3) Speakers at UIS addressing issues of ethics and markets.
- A recent graduate of the Accounting program has been asked to present his capstone work on the monitoring of third party collection agencies of student debt to several regional and national conferences. He now serves as the Associate Director of the University Student Financial Services and Cashier Operations department at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign.
- The BUS department in conjunction with the Counseling Center received $15,000 from the Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility to develop a social marketing campaign targeting undergraduate students who live on campus.
- The MIS Department faculty members at UIS have served as President, and At-Large Director for the Midwest Association for Information Systems. They have also served as Program Chair, Program Co-Chair, and Program Member for the last 11 years.
- The MIS Department at UIS publishes the open-access Journal of the Midwest Association for Information Systems. Professor Rassule Hadidi is the founding and Managing Editor of this journal.
Publications in Top Journals
The faculty of the CBM consistently publish in top-tier journals as ranked by the Australian Business Deans Council (ABDC) Journal Quality List. The following is just a small sample of the rigorous research published by our faculty:
Coskun, M., Gupta, S., & Burnaz, S. (2020). Store disorderliness effect: shoppers’ competitive behaviours in a fast-fashion retail store. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 48(7), 763-779. (ABDC Category: A).
Farshadkhah S., Van Slyke, C. & Fuller, B. (2021). Onlooker effect and affective responses in information security violation mitigation, Computers & Security, 100(1), 1-16. (ABDC: A)
Gholami, R. Singh, N., Agrawal, P., Espinosa, K., & Bamufleh, D., Information Technology/Systems Adoption in Public Sector: Evidence from Illinois Department of Transportation, Journal of Global Information Management, Accepted. (ABDC Category: A).
Gholami R., Emrouznejad A., Alnsour, Y. Kartal, H.B., & Veselova, J. (2020). The Impact of Smart Meter Installation on Attitude Change towards Energy Consumption Behavior among Northern Ireland Households, Journal of Global Information Management 28(4), Forthcoming. (ABDC Category: A).
Goel, S., & Karri, R. (2020). Entrepreneurial aspirations and poverty reduction: The role of institutional context. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 32(1-2), 91-111. (ABDC Category: A).
Sharma, S., Elfenbein, H. A., Sinha, R., & Bottom, W. P. (2020). The interpersonal effects of emotional expressions in negotiation: A meta-analysis and future directions for research. Human Performance. In print. (ABDC Category: A).\