WHAT: The University of Illinois Springfield Police Department will host a public safety day for Springfield-area children. Children of all ages are welcome to attend this free event.
WHEN: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022
WHERE: SASA Soccer Complex, 4600 11th St., Springfield
DETAILS: Multiple agencies will present safety information at the event:
- UIS Police, Illinois State Police and Springfield Park Police will educate children about various safety topics, steps to take in an emergency and the duties of a police officer
- The Springfield Fire Department will discuss fire safety
- Illinois Conservation Police will discuss boating safety
- A Saint’s Flight helicopter will land and be on display
- SIU School of Medicine’s ThinkFirst Program will educate kids, teens and adults about important topics like impaired or distracted driving, child passenger safety and helmet use
- The Springfield Housing Authority will be discussing topics on how to assist with people in need of housing
- The Secretary of State Police Hazardous Device Unit will be bringing a hazardous device response truck, explosive detection canine and a hazardous device disposal robot
- The Illinois Emergency Management agency will present disaster preparedness information
- Illinois Operation Life Saver will discuss railroad safety
- The UIS Alcohol and Drug Prevention Program will provide education on important topics
For more information, contact UIS Police Officer Adam Rade at 217-206-6690 or email@example.com.