Enroll for Graduate Credit
When taking ION Professional eLearning courses for credit through UIS, all policies, procedures, and deadlines of the University of Illinois Springfield will apply.
A UIS tuition calculator is available to estimate the cost of graduate courses. For non-degree-seeking students enrolled in ION Professional eLearning classes for graduate credit, select “On-campus Program (No Tuition Differential)” in the calculator. Health insurance costs may be waived if you are covered elsewhere. A $45 online academic support assessment is also added per graduate credit hour.
University of Illinois Employees (Springfield, Urbana-Champaign, Chicago, and System): Employees enrolled in self-supporting programs, such as Illinois Online Network (ION) courses, are not eligible to receive employee or graduate tuition waivers.
ION Courses Offered for UIS Graduate Credit
Anyone with a Master’s degree or other terminal professional degree is eligible to enroll in ION courses by this method. The following ION Courses are commonly offered through UIS.
|Course Name||Course Number||Credit Hours|
|Overview of Online Instruction||TEP 501||2|
|Technology Tools for Online Learning||TEP 502||2|
|Instructional Design for Online Course Development||TEP 503||2|
|Universal Design Principles for Online Learning||TEP 504||2|
|Student Assessment in Online Courses||TEP 505||2|
|Encouraging Communications in Online Courses||TEP 506||2|
|Blended Learning Design & Instruction||TEP 507||2|
|Practicum for Master Online Teacher Certificate||TEP 508||4|
Please note: ION courses previously taken for CEU hours must be retaken to earn UIS graduate credit hours.
If you need to request a transcript for UIS courses taken for graduate credit, please order your transcript through the UIS registrar.
How to Enroll
1. Create your account on the ION Professional eLearning website.
All students in ION Professional eLearning courses, regardless of enrollment method, must create a Continuing and Professional Education self-service portal account. This account is required for course tracking, course orientations, student orientation surveys, and course evaluations. Sign up for an account and then return to this page for the next steps.
2. Apply to UIS as a non-degree seeking student.
Complete the electronic Application for Admission to UIS. You should apply as a Non-Degree Seeking Student.
- The application will ask you for transcripts on page 3. Please enter the names of the institutions that you have attended so that you can move forward in the application process.
- You do NOT need to send official transcripts. If you receive an email prompting you to send transcripts, disregard the email.
- Non-degree seeking students also do NOT pay an application fee, even when prompted at the end of the online UIS non-degree seeking student admission application.
- Once you have submitted your application, to ensure that they are processing your application as non-degree seeking. Please contact the UIS Office of Admissions, and the staff will be able to verify your application status.
- If you decide to pursue a graduate degree at UIS, you may always apply for admission to a graduate program at a later time.
3. Claim Your UIS NetID.
If you are new to the UIS system, you will need to have a token from UIS Admissions to claim your UIS NetID and setting a password. You will need your NetID and password in order to register.
4. Select a course.
Decide which course(s) you wish to register for graduate academic credit. ION courses are 500-level courses in the Teacher Education Program (TEP) and Educational Leadership (EDL) departments at UIS. UIS graduate courses that count toward the Master Online Teacher professional certificate. For more information on which courses count toward a UIS degree program, you must check with the department at UIS.
5. Contact ION Professional eLearning for special permission to register.
In order to register for an ION Professional eLearning course at UIS, you must have special permission to register. To request special permission, please email the ION and provide the following information:
- Your full name
- Your University ID Number (UIN). If you do not know your UIN#, you can look it up at the University of Illinois I-Card site.
- Information about the course you wish to register, found in the UIS Dynamic Course Schedule.
- Title of course for which you wish to register
- UIS Department, Course Number and Section (e.g. TEP 501 A)
- UIS Course Reference Number (CRN), a five digit code used to register and track course sections (e.g. 11867)
The director will request special permission for you and contact you to let you know when it has been entered into the UIS registration system.
6. Register for the course at UIS.
- Go to the UIS home page.
- Click on Quick Links (left bottom button).
- Click on Register for classes (under academics)
- Scroll the the middle of the page and click Register Now button
- Click Student & Faculty Self-Service and choose UIS
- Login with your UIS credentials
- Click the Registration & Records Tab
- Click Add/Drop Classes
- Agree to pay the tuition and fees.
- Choose the current semester from the drop-down list and click Submit.
- Enter the CRN to the Classes Worksheet and click Submit Changes. You are now registered for the course.
7. Pay your tuition bill at UIS.
To pay your tuition bill or set up a payment plan, visit the University of Illinois Payment Center and look for the big “Pay My Student Account” box on the right side of the screen.
Request an Official UIS Transcript
Official UIS transcripts contain ION Professional eLearning and other courses that you took for academic credit through UIS. Request your official UIS transcript from the Office of the Registrar.
Withdrawing from UIS Courses
If you decide to withdraw from an ION Professional eLearning course that you are taking for graduate academic credit at UIS, you must follow the guidelines and deadlines stated on the UIS Registration site.