Step 4: Records or Transcripts
Students who apply to the University of Illinois at Springfield on or after July 1, 2019 and have international academic records must arrange (at their expense) to have their record(s) evaluated by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) member organization. Our recommended evaluation service is World Education Services (WES), but we will accept an evaluation from any NACES member.
Most evaluations will typically include certified copies of the documents used to conduct the evaluation. If certified copies of your academic record(s) are not included with the evaluation, you will be responsible for requesting that official documents be sent to UIS from each institution attended, along with an English translation (if the records are in a language other than English).
First-year Students If you are seeking a bachelor's degree at UIS and do not have any post-secondary or university-level coursework, please refer to the first-year transcript evaluation page for information on obtaining a NACES member articulation
- UIS requires a statement of US Secondary degree equivalency as well as an articulated US course letter grades/GPA
Transfer and Graduate Students
- If you are seeking a bachelor's or master's degree at UIS and have obtained post-secondary or university-level coursework from an institution outside of the USA, please refer to the transfer and graduate transcript evaluation page for information on obtaining a NACES member articulation
- A NACES evaluation is required for all post-secondary credits issued to the applicant.
- As university level credit is anticipated to be transferred to UIS, UIS will require a detailed evaluation including US degree equivalency, course levels, and a GPA.
- Previous coursework will be used to satisfy program entrance requirements, therefore UIS will require a detailed evaluation that includes US degree equivalency, course levels, and a GPA.
- All UIS Alumni with an UIS awarded degree and currently enrolled students who do not have a NACES evaluation on file will not be required to submit a NACES member evaluation. Please note that a NACES member evaluations cannot be submitted in order to “update” a GPA.
- All extraordinary admissions instances, such as educational strikes, applicants that identify as a ‘refugee’ or ‘asylee’, etc. will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in order to determine next steps with a formal request including a full description of the circumstances and any available supporting documentation.
- All applicants applying to UIS from an International Baccalaureate Institution, Council of International Schools member institution (utilizing US National Curriculum), US State Dept. Assisted Schools, or institutions holding US Regional Accreditation will not be required to submit a NACES evaluation as UIS recognizes that the institution utilizes an American-based curriculum.
Step 5: English Proficiency Requirement
Information about scores and waiver criteria. See Official English Proficiency Score
Step 6: Program Specific Requirements (for Transfer and Graduate Applicants Only)
Certain undergraduate and graduate programs will have additional materials required to complete your application. Please use the Admission Requirements link under Step Two to explore your options.