University of Illinois Springfield values and supports the required participation of both on-ground and online students in university sanctioned events. Requests by organizations for permanent and/or temporary sanctioning of events will be considered by the Office of the Provost, with input from the Campus Senate Committee on Admissions, Recruitment and Retention (CARR).
Applying for sanctioned event status:
- View the University-Sanctioned Events policy to determine if your event meets the established criteria.
- Submit the online form as soon as event information is available. The request form should be submitted before the start of the semester and must be approved well in advance of the event. Only events which have been approved in advance will be eligible for university-sanctioned event status.
- You will be notified of the status of your request once the Provost has consulted with CARR and made a determination. If approved, your event will be added to the list of university-sanctioned events, which will be posted on the web and available to faculty, students, and staff.
Submitting a Student Absence Form:
- As early as possible each semester, students are encouraged to download and complete the Student Absence for University-Sanctioned Events form (DOC) for all university-sanctioned events in which they plan to participate.
- A separate form should be presented to each instructor, based upon class sessions that will be missed for that instructor’s course.
- Ultimately, students are responsible for material covered in classes missed due to absences for university-sanctioned events. Instructors are encouraged to provide students with reasonable accommodations for completing missed exams, quizzes and the like so that students who are absent have the opportunity to earn all the points available to students attending the class.
- Some university-sanctioned events may offer their own forms for student use, and these may be used in place of the linked Student Absence Form. Forms may offer the instructor an opportunity to indicate any special accommodations that will be made regarding the missed class(es). All forms should include:
- Student name
- Student signature
- Course name
- Date(s) to be missed
- University-sanctioned event title
- Event contact person
- Instructor signature and date lines
Questions regarding the procedures above may be directed to Monica Kroft, email@example.com.