Committee – Now Accepting Applications (Deadline Extended to 5/10/18) for Fall 2018/Spring 2019
What Green Projects will we roll out next? Become a voting member, and play an active role in the decision process.
Exciting news! We have approved the first set of UIS Green Projects. These will be implemented between March and August 2018.
- 15 New Water Bottle-Filling Stations in the Public Affairs Center (PAC)
- Project Status: Completed in April 2018. Come get a drink and watch the counter go up as we avoid using unnecessary plastic bottles.
- 12 New Green Parking Spaces for fuel-efficient vehicles and carpools
- Project Status: Completed in April 2018.
- A Bike Repair Station that will be accessible 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Project Status: Completed in April 2018. The station is located in front of the west entrance to PAC.
- An additional Recycling Dumpster (closer to student housing)
- Project Status: Residence Life agreed to pay for this project from their operating funds. The money allocated for this project will be used to fund a new idea next academic year. Thanks Res Life!
- A new kid-friendly Educational Garden at the Cox Children’s Day Care Center
- Project Status: Completed in May 2018. The children have planted seeds, and are enjoying their new garden.
- A beautiful new Spiral Herb Bed in the UIS Community Garden
- Project Status: Completed in May 2018.
- A project that will replace some of our conventional turf grass with low-maintenance Native Grasses, reducing our fuel and water use
- Project Status: In Progress. Look for signs near TRAC later this summer.
These improvements to our UIS Campus are the result of students and community members working together to create a more thriveable future. Thank you for your participation, and ENJOY!
UIS Green Projects serves as an avenue for students to take a leadership role in greening our Springfield campus and beyond. We encourage and finance student-driven initiatives that contribute to long-term social, economic, and environmental sustainability.
We help members of our campus community design sustainability projects that will help green UIS. Each academic year, we select the best projects proposed by UIS students, faculty, and staff and work collaboratively to implement them using funds provided by the UIS Student Green Fee. This initiative is student-driven and student-led. UIS students chair the committee that selects which projects to fund, and student work together with UIS faculty and staff to implement these projects.