Transitioning is the process of changing one’s gender presentation. There is not one way to transition, and each person can decide what they feel comfortable doing during their transition process. Transitioning can consist of (and not limited to) name change, gender change, hormones, and/or sex reassignment surgery. This page contains information on name and gender change in Sangamon County and UIS, changing a birth certificate, accessing health care such as hormones at the Howard Brown Health Center, and a professor notification letter.

Health Services @ UIS

Health Services can help administer hormone injections but is unable to prescribe medication. Staff have plans to update forms to help trans students identify with a preferred name and correctly indicate their gender.

Counseling Center @ UIS

Counselors are available to students to provide support and referral to resources.

Name and Gender Change for Sangamon County

The following information below is how to change your name in Sangamon County.

Step One – Change of name form:

File paper work at the Sangamon County Circuit Clerks Office.

Sangamon County Clerks Office Address:

Room 405
200 South Ninth Street
Springfield, IL 62701

Step Two:

Must have your name change request published in the paper for three consecutive weeks in the classified section in either the State Journal Register or the Illinois Times. Contact either the State Journal Register at (217) 788-1300 or the Illinois Times at (217) 753-2226. The cost of this is $50.

Step Three:

Court Date – This must be scheduled at least six weeks after the first day your name change began running in the paper. Must have certificate from newspaper that states your name change request ran in the paper.

Department of Motor Vehicles

Once you have had your change of name form signed and notarized by the County Clerks Office, you can then take your forms to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and change your name on your driver’s license or state identification card.

Location of DMV:

2701 S. Dirksen Pkwy
Springfield, IL 62703

Name & Gender Change @ UIS

A request to change your name must be made in person at the Records and Registration Office.

  • If you are a student and have never been employed by the University, present legal documentation (such as a marriage license, passport, court order, and/or social security card) and photo ID reflecting your new name to Records to change your name.
  • If you are a student and current employee at any University of Illinois location, present your updated Social Security Card, as legal documentation reflecting the change, to the person responsible for human resources in your employing unit. In addition, review the Personnel Information tab in NESSIE for other places you may need to update your name.
  • If you are a student and have not been employed by the University within the last 18 months, present legal documentation (such as a marriage license, passport, court order, and/or social security card) and photo ID reflecting your new name to Records to change your name.
  • If you are a student and your employment with the University has ended within the last 18th months, present your updated Social Security Card, as legal documentation reflecting the change to the UIS Human Resource Office at: Human Resource Building (HRB) Room 30
  • If you are currently employed or were previously employed by the University of Illinois, employee names on record with the University must be the legal name on record with the US Social Security Administration. If it is not, both the employee and University can be in violation of Federal tax laws.

Contact Information

Contact: Records (217) 206-6709 or

Gender Designation Change Information @ UIS

A request to change your gender designation at UIS must be made in person at the Records and Registration Office. To request a change to your gender designation, you must present a written letter stating how your gender identity should be documented moving forward.


Once your name is officially changed (see above), the Records and Registration Office can reissue you a new diploma (with cost) and transcripts (with cost).

Gender Change on Birth Certificate

An individual with an existing birth certificate may submit a request to have the gender changed on their birth certificate after undergoing an operation or procedure that has the effect of reflecting, enhancing, or changing their gender. Genital reassignment surgery is not required. The procedures included can be but are not limited to laser hair removal, hormones, or any surgery. To change your gender marker on your birth certificate, you must complete the “Affidavit for a New Birth Certificate After Completion of Gender Reassignment” form. After completion, the form can be taken to the Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records.

Location of Illinois Department of Public Health:
925 East Ridgely Ave.
Springfield, IL 62702

Click here for the “Affidavit for a New Birth Certificate After Completion of Gender Reassignment” form.

Return to Top

Hormone Options

Some transgender people decide to take hormones as part of their transition process. It is important to receive your hormones from a health care professional so that you are administered the proper amount of hormones appropriate for you and to be continued to be monitored.

The standards of care ( from the World Professional Association for Transgender Health, require a health care professional to conduct a psychological assessment before referring a patient to an endocrinologist or other health care provider, that can administer hormones.

Planned Parenthood Transgender Hormone Therapy Health Center (Springfield)

Springfield – 601 North Bruns Lane

  • Intake for Springfield completed at The Phoenix Center – call 217-528-5253 for an appointment
  • Hormone therapy. Hormones may be prescribed to make the body more feminine or more masculine. Because the effects of hormone therapy may be permanent, it is important to discuss options and desired effects with a health care provider. 

Hormone therapy may include:

Feminizing medications. Estradiol and Progestin preparations

Anti-androgen medications. Spironolactone, Finasteride and Minoxidil

Masculinizing Medications. Testosterone preparations

Hormone therapy plan and ongoing care

Care planning includes an examination and treatment planning by a team consisting of an advanced practice nurse and licensed clinical social worker (LCSW).

Initial visit. Examination and lab work plus discussion of treatment goals and expectations, side effects, and risks of therapy with an advanced practice nurse and clinical social worker.

Second visit. Review of lab results, and prescription for hormone therapy.

Ongoing visits. Two to four times per year to monitor health, address goals, review medications and update lab testing as needed.

Already in therapy. Patients can provide a therapy letter in place of meeting with a PPIL LCSW (initial visit). The letter should include the following, as outlined in the World Professional Association for Transgender Health Standards Of Care

1. The client’s general identifying characteristics;
2. Results of the client’s psychosocial assessment, including any diagnoses;
3. The duration of the referring health professional’s relationship with the client, including the type of evaluation and therapy or counseling to date;
4. An explanation that the criteria for hormone therapy have been met, and a brief description of the clinical rationale for supporting the client’s request for hormone therapy;
5. A statement about the fact that informed consent has been obtained from the patient;
6. A statement that the referring health professional is available for coordination of care and welcomes a phone call to establish this.

Howard Brown Health Center (Chicago)

The Howard Brown Health Center exists to eliminate the disparities in health care experienced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people through research, education and the provision of services that promote health and wellness (

The Howard Brown Health Center is committed to improving the health of transgender individuals. Their staff are perhaps more knowledgeable and sensitive around the needs of transgender people than many local providers. You can receive hormones in a more accelerated manner, the THInC three step program, without the typical requirements of therapy and a carry letter.


  • Medical Services
  • Primary care physicians
  • Behavioral Health Department

Howard Brown’s THInC Process

THInC is a three step program that is designed to assist those who are interested in accessing hormones. THInC stands for Trans Hormones-Informed Consent. Most providers require their clients to demonstrate “lived experience,” which means you must live in your preferred gender for a certain amount of time, and require a letter from a therapist before you can access hormones. The HBHC bypasses this process by empowering their clients to make choices for themselves about their lives and their transition process.

This means that when a person gives consent for hormones:

  • The person has a cognitive ability to make an independent decision. In other words, that person understands the potential risks and benefits of the choice and is able to anticipate how that choice may impact them now and in the future.
  • The person has the information needed to make an informed decision.

The 3-steps:

  • Medical Appointment- The medical provider will discuss your specific needs as well as do an extensive medical exam with blood work.
  • Hormone Advocate Appointment- Is a face-to-face meeting to assist you in designing, planning, and communicating your personal transition plan.
  • 2nd Medical Appointment- At this appointment you will review your blood work with your medical provider. You will then decide if hormones are the best option for you.


The Howard Brown Health Center accepts most major health insurances. If you do not have insurance, HBHC offers a sliding scale based on income.

 Professor Notification Letter & Form

Notifying your professor of your preferred gender pronouns or gender identity can be difficult. To help with the coming out process and unintentional outing on the first day of class, we have set up a service in which you can fill out this form and we will contact the specific professors you indicate and provide some education if needed. Please fill out the form for each of your classes. When UIS adopts a preferred name policy then this service will no longer be needed as preferred names will show up on class rosters.

Sample Email to Professors:


This email is to inform you of a student in your class at UIS who identifies as transgender. The student would like to remain anonymous as to not out themselves and has a preferred name. The student may or may not identify with the name that is seen on your class roster. Below is a bulleted list of ways in which you can be inclusive of all your students and ensure that they feel comfortable and safe.

  • Do not assume the gender identity of your students
  • Never group your students by gender (not everyone easily fits a male or female binary).
  • Ask the preferred gender pronouns (PGPs) of all of your students (If you need more information on PGPs please visit the web page
  • Do not ask the student to explain their gender identity, if they wish, they will discuss this with you.
  • If the student does discuss their gender identity with you, please keep it private. Just because they talk to you about their identity does not mean that they are out to their peers.

If you are looking for more information on transgender and other other gender variant identities please visit the “Trans @ UIS Guide” online.

If you have any questions, please email the Gender and Sexuality Student Services at

Thank you,
The UIS Gender and Sexuality Student Services